TV alert
PBS is showing a documentary tomorrow night on the rise and fall of Penn Station. It's scheduled for 8 PM Central time. Check your local listings.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Thank you for the heads-up, I've got my DVR set to record it. Our local PBS station also has it at eight. A lot of times they do not show some of the same programs that they do on national PBS, like, "Tracks Ahead", and DirectTV won't let you subscribe to the national if you get a local station. Dish Network let you have both.... for a price...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I had it DVR'd, and watched it today.. Great show, lots of backstory on the construction with a ton of great photos. I just thought that it was strange that with all the PRR photos available, a lot of pictures of other railroads equipment was used to give a visual to the narration. Still, I can't complain, an excellent program altogether.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I didn't get to see it, but then I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of non-PRR trains in the mix. Penn Station is also the southern terminus of the New Haven (split with Grand Central Terminal), and the western terminal for the Long Island Railroad. "Pennsy" trains wouldn't venture north of there until after the Penn Central merger.

Its also important to note that many other railroads had New York bound trains that the PRR handled (via GG1) from all over. It wouldn't be weird to see a few purple ACL cars with some C&O blue and yellow, and some New haven cars tacked on to one end of a conists of PRR cars, all hauled by a GG1 into Penn station.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
For those who missed it, the show is available on line.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/penn/player/">http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... nn/player/</a><!-- m -->

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Thanks again for the heads-up, it was on my local PBS, which was a pleasant surprise.. Smile I've got it on DVR and am about half-way through it. it's good that it's online though, it's worth watching.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
FiatFan Wrote:PBS is showing a documentary tomorrow night on the rise and fall of Penn Station. It's scheduled for 8 PM Central time. Check your local listings.

Tom

I saw it. It was very well done.
A great documentary..!!
It's such a shame that a building like that should fall to the hammer of "modernity"...

Just another example of the "use and discard" outlook of our society... Curse
Gus (LC&P).
I saw it thanks to the heads up posted here. I was especially fascinated by the way the tunnels were made. What a shame that the station was torn down.
Further TV alert: DISH carries a series on trains on the Agriculture Channel - 231 - every Monday at 1600.