Model Railroaders Dream, Plan, Build DVD Series
Who here is getting the Model Railroader Dream Plan Build DVD Series in the mail? I believe they send them to you only if you subscribe to the magazine, but im not sure

I got the first one a while back, watched it, thought it was okay, decided to keep it, forgot i had it and forgot to pay for it for a few months (whoops) Icon_lol then paid for it (was only $9.95) and then just got the second DVD in the series, Volume II. Both have come with a medal with trains from the past and the "Model Railroader Dream, Plan, Build" words on them, there kinda neat i guess. This time i got the DVD, a new medal, and a display stand for the metals. Its pretty cool, i now have the first 2 medals and the first 2 DVD's from the series

But i went on to read it, and this DVD, Volume II is twice the price as Volume I, being $19.95 and there sticking you for the shipping this time to ship it to you which is $4.75 to ship the display stand. I could have done without it, and just got the DVD and medal, but i guess its kinda cool

Letter says, keep it for 21 days, if you dont like it, return in the pre-paid envelope. If you want to keep it, you send payment in the pre-paid envelope. So if i want to keep this one, and keep getting the rest of the series, along with each new metal, i have to pay $24.95 for Volume II. Something which i have not decided if it is worth as of this time. I do want to keep receiving future Dream, Plan, Build DVD's but im just not sure its worth $24.95. Im really hoping if i continue to receive future DVD's by paying for Volume II, that they will be less then $19.95.

Well i guess ill watch it and see what i think, maybe delay for a few months like Volume I LOL

Anyone else get these?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
i got the first DVD before i cancelled my subscription (MR is to repetitive).but i too "forgot" to send it back but they never sent me a bill Goldth --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Anything you receive in the mail that you did not order, is considered a gift and you are not legally required to pay for it. I also got the first one, never had the time to send it back and also have only watched about 2/3's of it. My conscience says I should have paid for it but I'm glad I didn't because then I'd get sucked into the rest of the deal like Trucklover... not that that's a bad thing for Trucklover. Thumbsup I like the content of it and there are some very interesting chapters.
Quote:Anything you receive in the mail that you did not order, is considered a gift and you are not legally required to pay for it.

huh,i didnt know that.sucks for MRR though Goldth

Quote: I also got the first one, never had the time to send it back and also have only watched about 2/3's of it. My conscience says I should have paid for it but I'm glad I didn't because then I'd get sucked into the rest of the deal like Trucklover... not that that's a bad thing for Trucklover. I like the content of it and there are some very interesting chapters.

it was an alright video,but your right it would just have sucked us into paying for crap we didnt need. but if you like the videos go ahead and buy em.because reading about a layout is so out dated by todays hi-res DVD's Icon_lol --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
I cancelled my mrr issues in December , there issues were ok but it was time to tighten the belt.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I did the same thing that TrainNut did, but without the guilt. When they sent me a reminder that I hadn't either paid or sent it back, I called them to tell them I misplaced it, which I did. They said not to worry and they stopped bugging me about it. I have since found it, but still haven't played it, and that was a good two years ago. And no, I didn't want to subscribe because I did see where it would be an expensive proposition over time.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Three fellows in our club have gone in together for the set. So far they are up to 12. I think there are 13 or 14, but they only have 12. Yes, they are spendy, but these guys leave them at the club for all of us to 'check out'. I took home #6 or 7 when I was building my mountain and wanted a little bit more info.

These are nice DVDs, but to go it alone can be spendy. And I must admit that some of the videos on there are the exact same vids you can see on their website if you are a MR subscriber.

I liked the 1st one they sent me a while back, but I didn't pay to keep it. I handed it off to my bro-in-law who wanted to build the plan that Michael Gross was narrating.

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]
Reminds me of the record deals in the TV Guide when I was a kid. I fell for it and got 10 albums for .01, then didn't realize I was committed for the long haul with albums being sent every month at a ridiculous price. Had to get my Dad to bail me out of that one.....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Bigsteel Wrote:i got the first DVD before i cancelled my subscription (MR is to repetitive).but i too "forgot" to send it back but they never sent me a bill Goldth --josh

LOL you got lucky, they sent me like 2 reminders or so about paying for the first one about 2 months or so after i got it, i just opened them, saw that they were reminders, and set them with the DVD lol. Then i had some extra money laying around and i had to go to the post office so i just paid the $9.95 with a money order and sent it off to them about a month ago, then i got the next one. This is probably what will happen with this DVD too lol. I dont have money to throw at them for this DVD right now, but when i establish a job, im sure ill pay for it and await the next one lol

TrainNut Wrote:Anything you receive in the mail that you did not order, is considered a gift and you are not legally required to pay for it. I also got the first one, never had the time to send it back and also have only watched about 2/3's of it. My conscience says I should have paid for it but I'm glad I didn't because then I'd get sucked into the rest of the deal like Trucklover... not that that's a bad thing for Trucklover. Thumbsup I like the content of it and there are some very interesting chapters.

Thats interesting that you say that. It makes sense, but im sure there thinking that the majority are going to pay for it, just going on the guilty conscience and thinking they "stole" something lol

I did find a few things interesting in the first one, i liked how they did the backdrop, and when i get to that point, ill go back to it and watch it again while i do it lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Although I am a subscriber to MR I never got one of these DVDs. It looks like this was/is a project only for American readers. Icon_lol (Oh well, Europeans are soooo far away, aren't they? Wink )

Too bad... Ok, so I'm going on by reading only the written word ...

Ron
Boss of the Trim Creek & Western RR (H0 & H0n3)
Running through the hard-shell mountains, not around them!
ezdays Wrote:I did the same thing that TrainNut did, but without the guilt. When they sent me a reminder that I hadn't either paid or sent it back, I called them to tell them I misplaced it, which I did. They said not to worry and they stopped bugging me about it. I have since found it, but still haven't played it, and that was a good two years ago. And no, I didn't want to subscribe because I did see where it would be an expensive proposition over time.

Guess that further re-enforces what TN said about it being a gift and they cannot legally make you pay for it lol Misngth

deckroid Wrote:Three fellows in our club have gone in together for the set. So far they are up to 12. I think there are 13 or 14, but they only have 12. Yes, they are spendy, but these guys leave them at the club for all of us to 'check out'. I took home #6 or 7 when I was building my mountain and wanted a little bit more info.

These are nice DVDs, but to go it alone can be spendy. And I must admit that some of the videos on there are the exact same vids you can see on their website if you are a MR subscriber.

I liked the 1st one they sent me a while back, but I didn't pay to keep it. I handed it off to my bro-in-law who wanted to build the plan that Michael Gross was narrating.

George

Do you know how much the others are? Are they all going to be $19.95 after the first or around that price range? I might have to discontinue them if its going to be like that, after hearing there are 14 or so of them, i dont think im willing to pay $20 a pop for each just for my own use lol. Im just not convinced that it will be worth the $270 for all 14 of them lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I did the same thing Don did. Watched it and then misplaced it(in the round container next to the desk).
I kept getting the reminders, untill I called them and reminded them that I hadn't ordered it(This was discussed some time ago on the "other" forum), and that by law I wasn't going to pay for it. They were actually quite nice about it. I half expected a battle with the lady on the other end, but she just said "OK...I'll take your name off the list."

I never recieved any other of the videos....or reminders after that.
I did keep the coin though.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I have been getting them as well. I skipped one or two. I watch them and see if there is anything I can use and if not send it back. Although I can read all the same info here (maybe even better) some times I just need to actually see someone doing it.
Jim

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi">http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php">http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php</a><!-- m -->
Save those medals!!! Actually they are called "coins," and over the years, many have become collector's items. Don't believe me? Check them out at a coin collector's store. I have two coins from AEA, (Army Engineer Association,) and I won't part with them for ANYthing. Some places will give you free admissions to events, and others will give you free gifts, just for showing them the coin they sent you. Also there are a lot of folks who will pay a lot of money for one that they don't already have. It all depends on how many were minted, and who got one.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
I got my first one a year ago, and recieved 3, payed for two, sent one back. I like them, but cant afford them. I emailed MR, and I am off the list, untill I decide to rejoin the program. Yep Trucklover, they are all $20. When you watch one, it doesnt seem like such a bad price, but add it up and... Confusedhock:

I kind of liked some of them, and a few of the demonstrations were on the layout of someone who models the GN and DMIR, so I found them segments really helpfull.