How much can we justify spending?
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I actually have a reproduction of the flight manual for that plane. Its surprisingly funny. For the chapter on taxiing, it has an illustration with the caption "Turn the airplane slowly". The picture depicts a YB49 being turned way to quickly to watch a woman walk by. There is a shocking amount of that for a flight manual.
Actually, there's a lot of double-entendre built into military training, deliberately. I saw it before I was thrown out of ROTC. It helps people remember what's taught.
Awhile back I made a statement in a thread I believe I started. Saying I have enough, I have trouble maintaining what I have now. I might consider having my layout rebuilt but in a larger building and only one level instead of 41/2 or 5 levels. but not actually any larger. That would make it easier to maintain with larger isles. Same layout just unstacked Same Locomotives same rolling stock. Same control system. Same amount of track. Just easier to operate/run. Oh I would want a photo album of what I have now.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
jwb Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I actually have a reproduction of the flight manual for that plane. Its surprisingly funny. For the chapter on taxiing, it has an illustration with the caption "Turn the airplane slowly". The picture depicts a YB49 being turned way to quickly to watch a woman walk by. There is a shocking amount of that for a flight manual.
Actually, there's a lot of double-entendre built into military training, deliberately. I saw it before I was thrown out of ROTC. It helps people remember what's taught.

And 90% of what you read in military training manuals goes out the door in combat..In fact most manuals teaches just enough to get you shot in a hot firefight or LZ..

And now the all mighty dummy's in charge is having the troops yelling to their "battle buddy" every move they plan to make.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Actually, the only $$'s I would need is just enough to build a garage to house the cars, as the current garage is making do as a train room. .. Goldth

The size of the layout is just large enough to be "comfortably" operated by one operator - that's me...!!
Gus (LC&P).
Charlie B Wrote:Don, maybe this would be a help <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://billstrains.com/product.php?productid=16259&cat=443&page=1">http://billstrains.com/product.php?prod ... 443&page=1</a><!-- m -->
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, but I have a rerailer that I use, even so, it's still a PITA to get all the wheels on the track. There's so little wheel flange to keep them from derailing as well. That's probably the only negative that I can think of for N scale, otherwise, I'm perfectly happy working in this scale. Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
Charlie B Wrote:Don, maybe this would be a help <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://billstrains.com/product.php?productid=16259&cat=443&page=1">http://billstrains.com/product.php?prod ... 443&page=1</a><!-- m -->
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, but I have a rerailer that I use, even so, it's still a PITA to get all the wheels on the track. There's so little wheel flange to keep them from derailing as well. That's probably the only negative that I can think of for N scale, otherwise, I'm perfectly happy working in this scale. Big Grin

This is more of a problem for those who go with Code 55 rail for the "appearance". Code 80 doesn't have that many problems, being slightly larger and more robust.

Back to the discussion - how much can we and DO we justify spending on our hobby?
MountainMan Wrote:[...Back to the discussion - how much can we and DO we justify spending on our hobby?

Well, just to answer YOUR question, at my age, as little as possible. Misngth I don't plan on creating an empire, nor do I spend every free minute working on my layout or running trains. As such, I enjoy what I do when I do it, and I have a little but of money set aside in the event I feel or have the need to buy something. The fact is, that I get more out of creating something from just material and spare parts at hand. I have never been one to go out and buy the latest and greatest of anything, just to say I have one.

So, directed to your question, I can justify spending what I have set aside for such stuff and possibly a bit more. I just don't spend it unless I find something that I want, so I have enough to meet my current needs. That could always change if I had unlimited resources, since then, I wouldn't have to be concerned about such frivolous things as living expenses and medical upkeep.

The bottom line is, I can justify more than I actually do spend. I hope you weren't looking for hard numbers.... Smile
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I am at a point in my hobby where the only real cost I have are scratchbuilding supplies.I will occasionally find a building or car I want but the locos have all been bought for each of the scales I play in.For 2013 I spent a whopping $300.00 for the year. It will most likely be even less this year as I am playing catch up on a whole slew of projects that have just been waiting to get started. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I was just thinking about my investment. I remember back in 1995 or around about then. I decided I could spent 20.00 a week. A small local hobby shop which only sold trains mainly HO was close to my home. He had a kind of layaway system that you could put money toward what you wanted. Or if you didn't have any wants at that visit you could put money into your account to be put towards next purchase. I got paid on Wed. and on my way to wok on Thursday I would stop in and either spend my 20 or leave it there for future expenditures. He charged $1.00 for atlas code 100 flex track. $1.50 for pack of KaDees. $3.00 to $8.00 for Athearn,& MDC, cars. So $20 went a long ways. Steam was a lost cause for a poor man Only way to get anything that would run was Brass. I did have 2 riverossie and one IHC that would run. Now I can get anything I desire for it for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I bought most of it 20 at a time
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Another thought about justifiable spending is:

Should we add the cost of our computer to that list since we use our computers for forums, research and for the purchase of our models? :?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I don't think adding the cost of a computer for internet use would make much of a difference as you could pick up a 'dumped' one, (from someone who has upgraded), for nowt & run it with Linux (cost of a download). Icon_lol
switcher1 Wrote:I don't think adding the cost of a computer for internet use would make much of a difference as you could pick up a 'dumped' one, (from someone who has upgraded), for nowt & run it with Linux (cost of a download). Icon_lol

True that..But,still there's a cost unless your BFF or family gave you that computer..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Thanks Charlie, but I have a rerailer that I use, even so, it's still a PITA to get all the wheels on the track. There's so little wheel flange to keep them from derailing as well. That's probably the only negative that I can think of for N scale, otherwise, I'm perfectly happy working in this scale. Big Grin[/quote]

This is more of a problem for those who go with Code 55 rail for the "appearance". Code 80 doesn't have that many problems, being slightly larger and more robust.

Back to the discussion - how much can we and DO we justify spending on our hobby?[/quote]

That's one of the reasons I use Peco code 55, it's 55 on the outside and 80 on the inside so older stuff with the larger flanges stay on the rails and the newer stuff stays on better as well. As far as the tie spacing being a little wider when it's the only track on the layout it's not noticeable.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Brakie Wrote:Another thought about justifiable spending is:

Should we add the cost of our computer to that list since we use our computers for forums, research and for the purchase of our models? :?

To be sure, in my case, I needed a computer so I could bring work home. That plus doing my bank accounts justified having a computer. It wasn't until years later that the Internet came along, then it was used also for research. Thanks to Packey building us a website, it also brought us new business. Since retiring, I have used it almost entirely for personal purposes, one of which is Big Blue and sometimes other forums. Another is keeping current on the news and weather, but I can justify a computer if only for the fact that without it, my checking account would be in shambles, and so anything else I use it for are just free bonuses.

But, the premise of the question is, "if you had unlimited funds" and so the cost of a computer could be included if you used it exclusively for your model railroading, otherwise you could justify it for other reasons and get a free ride for anything else.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
DonConfusedo the cost of a computer could be included if you used it exclusively for your model railroading,
-------------------------------
And that's why I own a computer. Icon_lol

Research,e-bay, shopping on line hobby shops and of course forums..Other then the research and shopping I'm not sure I could justify the cost.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry