Weekly Photo Fun 3/28 - 4/4/14
Switching at Absegami Plastics

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

An NYS&W run-by.    

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  

And the restored NYS&W freight station in Stroudsburg PA.

Feeling a bit under the weather---got a bad case of dieselitis

[Image: d669c413-33f8-4892-8163-79d4ff98bc0b.jpg]
Looks like a lot of Philadelphia stuff tonight-

Silverliner IIIs- these were originally purchased to run in pairs out to Harrisburg and back. they had unusual left hand control stands for "pay as you go" service that was never implemented. They were nick named lateliners because they were delayed, and were the "last" PRR car order before Penn Central.

[Image: P3061148.jpg]

[Image: P3061147.jpg]

The Arrow IIs were leased by Amtrak for the same Philadelphia-Harrisburg Service from 1979 until 1983.

[Image: P3061150.jpg]

I was taking pictures of my "fleet" for another website, but I figured I'd show some of my other projects. Here you can see some Reading Green Car MU kit, partially painted. In the background is my "naked" Silverliner IV married pairs. The other silverliner IVs are single unit types.

[Image: P3241484.jpg]

This is all my Philadelphia stuff, the result of 10 years worth of picking up random things here and there! The worst part is, my New Jersey commuter fleet is even larger than this! A lot of it needs work, though. I'm really hoping to get my Reading Company Green Cars done soon, though after that I'll probably shift my focus back to my New Jersey modeling.

Also included in the group is my PRSL RDC-1, and PATCO Rapid Transit cars in the foreground I hope one day to power thost PATCO cars and maybe make a little automated PATCO mini-layout, much like the kind the English seem to like to make. Unfortunately, its difficult to find under-floor drives with 28" wheels, and I have to hope they can hit between 60 and 70 MPH.

I used to ride the PATCO nearly every day, and I still take it frequently, so this is a special train for me!

[Image: P3241488.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I went to the Western Prototype Modelers meet in San Bernardino this morning. Either this one is much worse than the better-publicized ones in Naperville, Cocoa Beach, and so forth, or the others are wildly overrated. The usual guys working within their comfort zones and high-fivin' each other for it.

You got five bucks off the admission If you brought three models. That would be five bucks I could spend at the swap meet, so I brought some:

I had a good day at the swap, which almost made the admission to the WPM worth it. Picked up several things on my watch list, like this (I think) Athearn metal 4-truck heavy duty flat:

Oddly, it has paper sides, more like a Red Ball, but I think the metal is zamac, so it's likely very early Athearn. I don't believe PRR had anything like this, so I will probably replace the paper sides with styrene and repaint it for D&H, which did have cars like this.

I always look for the Tru-Scale, later Walthers, plastic work cars, and found two, $4 each (like the heavy duty flat):

And an odd surprise. Tyco flat cars are always on my watch list (the yellow log car in the first photo was made from a Tyco); I picked this one up just assuming it was Tyco. When I got it home and took a closer look, it pretty clearly looked like Bachmann has added better-quality trucks and body mounted couplers to the original Tyco die work. Sure is Tyco, via Bachmann:

I always thought the Tyco plastic die work deserved to be brought back.
Bruce, I always like the way you include crew men in your photos.

e-paw, those pics of action going over the bridge are great! Make a good scene for modeling.

CN nut bar, " Diesels good". Diesels good!! 357

GEC, Impressive roster!

JWB, Nice finds!
JWB, good finds at the show. I also like those flat cars, I have one in ATSF that looks good enough to put Kadee Couplers on.

There was supposed to be an RPM near me today that I sadly wasn't able to get too, but maybe next time. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to the shows that occur around October here in New Jersey.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I'm a big fan of those flats also. Here's a couple of them sitting in the Allentown yard next to one with bulkheads. I have body mounted the couplers and installed better wheel sets in them.

just pay no attention to the unfinished seanery behind them....That's a project that's on my to do list for this summer.
cn nutbar Wrote:Feeling a bit under the weather---got a bad case of dieselitis

[Image: d669c413-33f8-4892-8163-79d4ff98bc0b.jpg]

Been there myself. It is an awful feeling, Get a pot of water. Put it on the stove.Turn the fire up and when it starts to boil. in-hail some steam. If this doesn't work call Doctor Wayne or go to an operating tourist steam RR and take a ride. If this all fails you might have to take some drastic measures.( hari-kari ). Eek Any thing is better than dieselitis
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
357 357 357 357 357 357 Cheers 357 357 357 357 357 357 357
A road weary (i.e. somewhat over-weathered) Kings Port & Western boxcar is pulled at the float yard.
[Image: 003_zps9f87c2ee.jpg]
While many have probably seen this photo of Creechan's Fine Fuels...

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd397-1.jpg]

...I don't recall posting a photo of it with the roof removed...

[Image: Campbellcorrugatedsheets-CreechansFineFu...ved002.jpg]

...or the roof itself, showing the built-up trusses and the strapping to which the roof sheathing is attached...

[Image: Campbellcorrugatedsheets-CreechansFineFu...ide001.jpg]

Wayne
Wayne,

Don't know what to say, what an impressive model. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Bruce