Florida ISL - Ocala
While looking round google maps last night I came across http://goo.gl/maps/FAKKA which looks a rather interesting ISL.

There look to be four turnouts servicing five industries in an area about 2400 feet long.
Using a bit of Modeller's license this could easily be shrunk some what.

The industries include the following

1) Cone Distributing Inc ( A Beer Distributor)
This looks like its disused but using a bit more of that Modeller's license it could be reinstated to receive boxcars carrying beer Cheers

Looking west from the grade crossing and to the left of Cone Distributing is
2) Ferrellgas (A propane gas distributor)
Again this looks disused but using even more Modeller's license it could be reinstated to receive propane gas tank cars.

Turning 180 degrees and to the right of the track is,
3) Ocala Breeders Feed & Supply
Goole streetview shows rusty CSX covered hoppers waiting to be unloaded.

Next down the line is a switch to
4) The Alexander Group, llc
This looks to be a Construction Company
I guess this would receive lumber in Hi-Cube boxcars, flat cars and centerbeams.

Google satellite view show as if the buildings have just been built, but street view shows is fully working.

Part two to follow...
Chris
England
The one industry i find very interesting is

5) Trademark Metal Recycling.
It looks like they ships out scrap metal in gondolas.
I can not see any signs of a turnout or siding, so it looks as if they to load these cars on the branch line.
I'm guessing here but they must have to be pulled/pushed out of the way before the other customers are switched.

I can't see a run-round loop anywhere (unless its under the trees to the right of the scrap yard)

I've found a couple of Google satellite views of a FCEN CF7 pulling a train on the the ISL but as all the turnouts are facing there must be a run-around loop somewhere on the branch or the train has nothing to be with the line and is just using the the track to access the nearby yard.

I'm now thinking I could fit this around three sides of my shed.
It wouldn't be a perfect copy of the line but it might work.

Right, time to get the anyrail out and start planing
Chris
England
WSOR,

This would be a nice theme for and ISL. There is plenty of variation in products that are produced or distributed within this small area. I got on the Alexander Group website in Acala and as you thought, they are a construction company. It appears that there construction not only utilizes wood products but also steel. If you zoom down to yard, you will see steel I-beams laying on the ground.

Larry

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thealexandergroupllc.com/">http://www.thealexandergroupllc.com/</a><!-- m -->
You could easily hide a staging area also with all that thick brush and wooded areas.
Okay
Here is the first attempt

The yard / interchange (the fiddleyard) with the CSX is in the top right hand corner.

I've just noticed another LPG siding to right of the trees.

Amer Gas
I'll try and include it in the next plan
Chris
England
With your CF7s, this will be a great layout to follow.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:With your CF7s, this will be a great layout to follow.

Thanks Mike

I just need to get my hands on some Atlas 33,000 gallon tank cars and some CSX covered hoppers
Chris
England
Thumbsup still think you need a bigger shed 357

Ray
Chris ,I like your design.. Cheers

IF operated as a short line or small switching railroad I can easily see a SW1,S4 or a GE 44 or 70 tonner as the motive power.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Chris,

Your plan looks really good. I have just one question and correct me if I'm wrong, it would appear that your train will have to run clockwise since all of your turnouts are trailing. There is no run-around track so cars will have to be backed into the industries. Maybe this was your intention.

Larry
To add to fast car, your far right interchange track will be tough to get cars in and out of with only about a 27 inch track to switch back into, that'll get you maybe 3 cars with a short engine.
fast car Wrote:Chris,

Your plan looks really good. I have just one question and correct me if I'm wrong, it would appear that your train will have to run clockwise since all of your turnouts are trailing. There is no run-around track so cars will have to be backed into the industries. Maybe this was your intention.

Larry

Just like the prototype it will be shove-in/pull-out
shortliner Wrote:
fast car Wrote:Chris,

Just like the prototype it will be shove-in/pull-out

If Chris is to use modelers license, it really wouldn't matter if a run-around is in place. A runaround near the interchange tracks is feasible since one exits on the prototype approximately three miles to the east. Since model railroading is also a lesson in selective compression, a run-around opens up other possibilities.

Larry
Honestly, there's absolutely no need for a runaround, except if you want a gimmick that soon grow old. On that point, I totally agree with Shortliner. There's enough sidings to keep a man well occupied for a while and a lot of diversity in the industries served. Also, it's always a nice sight to see a train running in the "wrong" side. It's part of the favour of such industrial spur. Why try to kill what's make it special? It would be like saying that every woman SHOULD wear high heels because it do works for some of them. Big Grin Anyway, each of us has is own perception of that matter. But keeping things simple and efficient doesn't mean less operation fun. I hardly see what the runaround would add. Also, SELECTive compression is also about dropping some things from the propotype. Mashing up 3 miles into 25 linear feet needs to make some choice, not always fun, but you got to SELECT things among many. IF not, we would just say COMPRESSION...

However, I also have some serious doubts about the yard lead. At 27 inches, that means you'll be able to move 2 x 50ft boxcars + loco. That's quite an issue... One way to get more place would be to place the interchange track turnout just behind the previous turnout (would looks like a trident). Sure, you loose a little bit place there... Or, keep the turnouts in the same arrangement, but move them up a few inches to get a 30' yard lead able to hold 3 cars + loco. That would be a safer bet since your smallest yard siding hold about 3 cars. If you can manage to have a yard lead as long as your longest yard siding, then, you''ll be in business. Maybe skewing the yard a little bit could give you enough space to manage something workable. It's one of those case not being parallel to the wall could bring more versatility.

As for the location and number of industries, I think mocking up the track arrangement on the benchwork will greatly help to see if things work well together. At this point, you could draw a zillions slight variation track plans. All in all, I think you have enough to keep you busy and trying the idea in real would be the most effective way to test out you ideas. Since you aren't doing a mountainous layout with complexe topography, you are absolutely free to mess up things with a few tracks and rolling stocks.

I wish you a good luck. Sometimes, I feel having a small space is a blessing because it makes you strive for the essentials instead of wasting your energy on bogus and pipe dreams! Icon_lol

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
sailormatlac Wrote:One way to get more place would be to place the interchange track turnout just behind the previous turnout (would looks like a trident).
Matt

Maybe a 3 way switch coming off of one right hand switch will help with space, you might even gain more space on the left hand track