transportation of horses
I found an interesting link:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/Sandifer/Clinics/Stk/03.htm">http://www.atsfrr.com/resources/Sandife ... Stk/03.htm</a><!-- m -->

Looks like more than just livestock were transported in stock cars.

Also doing a little research, I learned the United Verde & Pacific narrow gauge rostered 33 stock cars in 1914, but later on lists them as "coke" cars. So maybe I will just build the kit as a stock car, and can come up with plenty of excuses for its use!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
jwb Wrote:That looks like a Rivarossi roof. . .

No, that's an IHC "Rico Station" roof. - - - - - - - - Oh, :oops: :o you meant the "car" roof :oops: Wink 357 357 357 Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
jwb Wrote:That looks like a Rivarossi roof. . .

You've got a good eye for details. Wink

The horse express car was built from a Rivarossi coach, as it's almost the exact same length as their prototypes. The original sides are removed, along with the rivet batten along the sill except where the doors are located. New sides are Evergreen passenger car siding over a plain styrene sub-wall. The doors are built-up from more of the same, while the window muntins are cut from Grandt Line engine house windows.
Here's mine with the roof removed:

[Image: PassengercarsCNR8907-horseexpresscar-interior022.jpg]

The Rivarossi cars, along with Athearn Blue Box passenger cars, are good fodder for building all sorts of wood-sided express and baggage cars.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:The Rivarossi cars, along with Athearn Blue Box passenger cars, are good fodder for building all sorts of wood-sided express and baggage cars. Wayne

Mmmmmmmmm, "fodder" Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wink Someday, we should have a contest Wink Wink to see just how many different Kits can be used to provide parts: Thumbsup
Icon_twisted for a single "model" Cheers Cheers
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
doctorwayne Wrote:The Rivarossi cars, along with Athearn Blue Box passenger cars, are good fodder for building all sorts of wood-sided express and baggage cars. Wayne

Mmmmmmmmm, "fodder" Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Wayne, you use it well ! Thumbsup Thumbsup

jwb, " recognized " the roof. That is a "learn-able skill"...our eyes and minds can be trained to recognize where a prototype detail, duplicated in model form, can be found. I believe this comes from experiences in "Kitbashing", which, while frowned upon by some "serious modelers", is still an excellent way to develop and improve modeling skills.

Of course, you could choose the path of "Sumpter 250 lunacy", and just apply all 7500 individual shingles, to a kit that wasn't designed to be shingled......... Nope Wink That is not a recommendation.........I'm still in "therapy"

Wink Someday, we should have a contest Wink Wink to see just how many different Kits can be used to provide parts: Thumbsup
Icon_twisted for a single "model" Cheers Cheers

Nooooooooooooo Eek Eek Icon_twisted Icon_lol Styrene butchery !! Icon_lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I used parts from five kits and a r-t-r loco to build the "Bee". The body is a modified Rivarossi combine, with a drive train, front truck and fuel tank, along with part of the frame from an Athearn F-unit. The cooling coils over the engine compartment are from an MDC boxcab, while the rear wheels and postal compartment windows are from an Athearn Pullman. The air intake grills on the roof are out of an Athearn geep, while the pilot is off a r-t-r Bachmann Northern. There are also detail parts from Detail Associates, Details West, Cal-Scale, New England Rail Services, and Pike Stuff, and a Mashima motor, along with various plastic sheet and shapes from Evergreen. Not sure who made the passengers and crew. Misngth

[Image: 2013PHOTOS-DUFFCHALLENGE3021.jpg]

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:I used parts from five kits and a r-t-r loco to build the "Bee". The body is a modified Rivarossi combine, with a drive train, front truck and fuel tank, along with part of the frame from an Athearn F-unit. The cooling coils over the engine compartment are from an MDC boxcab, while the rear wheels and postal compartment windows are from an Athearn Pullman. The air intake grills on the roof are out of an Athearn geep, while the pilot is off a r-t-r Bachmann Northern. There are also detail parts from Detail Associates, Details West, Cal-Scale, New England Rail Services, and Pike Stuff, and a Mashima motor, along with various plastic sheet and shapes from Evergreen. Not sure who made the passengers and crew. Misngth

[Image: 2013PHOTOS-DUFFCHALLENGE3021.jpg]

Wayne

So where do the horses ride? :?
Interesting diversion. I have an HOn3 tank car that features a MDC tank on a cut down IHC flat car. I think that is the most number of kits that went into a single piece of rolling stock, not counting detail parts or raw materials. I have some structures that feature parts from two or more different kits from different manufacturers.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
MountainMan Wrote:So where do the horses ride? :?

Could probably fit one or two, along with a shovel, into the baggage compartment. Wink Misngth

The CNR horse cars shown earlier were equipped with 24 collapsable stalls, and could be used as regular baggage/express cars when necessary.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:The CNR horse cars shown earlier were equipped with 24 collapsable stalls, and could be used as regular baggage/express cars when necessary.Wayne
Don't send my baggage in that car!
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:The CNR horse cars shown earlier were equipped with 24 collapsable stalls, and could be used as regular baggage/express cars when necessary.Wayne
Don't send my baggage in that car!

What? No matching horsehide luggage? Misngth

Wayne
In the old West railroads used old baggage cars and cattle cars.These cattle cars was usually attached to a mixed train not a regular passenger train.

As a side note drummers(salesmen) would either rent a horse or horse and buggy once they arrived at their destination..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:As a side note drummers(salesmen) would either rent a horse or horse and buggy once they arrived at their destination..

Before WW1, most townspeople or cityfolk did not own a horse (or a car). Land for pasture, feed, and other maintenance was far too expensive for the average individual. In the cities and larger towns, public transport - trollies and taxis - served the purpose when it was too far to walk. Horses and buggies were also available to rent. The general store, the livery and stables, fuel (usually coal, could be wood and/or oil and gas) dealer, ice, a church, a saloon, a bank, and a hotel were the standard commerical requirements for a town.

A rail connection - or at very least a stage coach stop - was critical to get what couldn't be produced locally brought in. Which is why every town that wanted a future would build their own short line if a nearby railroad passed them by.
pgandw Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:As a side note drummers(salesmen) would either rent a horse or horse and buggy once they arrived at their destination..

Before WW1, most townspeople or cityfolk did not own a horse (or a car). Land for pasture, feed, and other maintenance was far too expensive for the average individual. In the cities and larger towns, public transport - trollies and taxis - served the purpose when it was too far to walk. Horses and buggies were also available to rent. The general store, the livery and stables, fuel (usually coal, could be wood and/or oil and gas) dealer, ice, a church, a saloon, a bank, and a hotel were the standard commerical requirements for a town.

A rail connection - or at very least a stage coach stop - was critical to get what couldn't be produced locally brought in. Which is why every town that wanted a future would build their own short line if a nearby railroad passed them by.

In the 1870-90 it would be hard to find dependable transportation in the old West so,you had to own a horse and that horse was well taken care of since it was your life line.The exception being a townsmen,loggers and miners..Everything they needed was available locally.Next important thing to your horse was a good Winchester or Henry repeating rife.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!