Weekly Photo Fun April 11th-17th
I'll start us off this week with an older photo which I happened upon a few days ago. It was taken with the camera on the layout, and while most of the background is rather incongruous with the scene, I was struck by the depth of field offered by the low-cost point-and-shoot camera. The scene is in Lowbanks, almost at the farthest point, by rail, from Dunnville. However, the taller structures visible in the background are in Dunnville's industrial district:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainBrainsecondcd068.jpg]

Wayne
Doc, very nice shot!
Your steam loco scenes are a real enjoyment for my heart each time.

[Image: ow-gondolas_06k.jpg]

My small gondolas of O&W are back from a friend. He has the right chemicals for removing all paint.
A few repairs and additional detailing will follow. Pictures also.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
One of the modular group's "smaller layouts" at a Mall. My first modules, with the Narrow Gauge "back tables", are on the right side.

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Another shot taken on Doctor Wayne's layout as CNR Mike 3254 crosses the Speed River bridge.The picture was photoshopped to add the smoke and steam exhaust by an old friend---Selector

[Image: secondbridgelovufinal-1.jpg]
I grabbed this shot today as I was working on the engine room lights on our F-3a # 664.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Eastbound at Leetonia, Ohio 4/12/2014 with North Dakota oil.    
Charlie
Charlie that east bound is probably headed for a refinery about 10 miles north of me. My neighbor is an engineer at the receiving end of that train. He spots the cars at the refinery to be unloaded and sets out the empties.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Here's a couple pictures of my friend Thomas Cipelle's Z scale layout (one of his Z layouts actually) from our train show yesterday.Thomas is 75 years old and has no intention of slowing down. :mrgreen:

[Image: thomas-1.jpg]

[Image: thomas-2.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Looks like the D&L had a little mishap today
[Image: 20140414155420.jpg]

[Image: 20140414155518.jpg]

It really doesn't surprise me because here is a pic that I took about a year ago of the track in the same location. It this pic we are sitting just past the switch seen in the first pic, roughly where the cars have derailed.

Maybe we should start a "Derailment" Picture thread for pics like this.
First addition at NYO&W gondolas is done.

[Image: ow-gondolas_07k.jpg]

Bottom hatches are closed by small chains, finest one that are available.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
A hotshot freight train with a couple of Montreal Locomotive Works RS units rolls into the west end of the Leetown yard.The train will drop off a number of cars originating from the United States in Leetown and then make a lift of empty covered hoppers for a return trip east to the Gern plant in Port Maitland.

[Image: 005.jpg]
doctorwayne Wrote:I'll start us off this week with an older photo which I happened upon a few days ago. It was taken with the camera on the layout, and while most of the background is rather incongruous with the scene, I was struck by the depth of field offered by the low-cost point-and-shoot camera. The scene is in Lowbanks, almost at the farthest point, by rail, from Dunnville. However, the taller structures visible in the background are in Dunnville's industrial district:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainBrainsecondcd068.jpg]

Wayne

Nice shot..!! (As always...)

But my question is related to the color of the tracks (white-grayish). I always supposed that track should be an oxide color, but after looking through many prototype photos, I find that they are white-grayish...So, where does this coloring come from..??
Gus (LC&P).
I found this train running south along the Delaware river in Portland PA today.

Steve---here's one of those Potash Corp's covered hoppers (#2767) sitting in the Stuart St.yard in Hamilton in 2013---it is brand new from Hamilton's National Steel Car Company and was waiting to be delivered to it's new home in western Canada

[Image: P1150515.jpg]
Steamtrains Wrote:Nice shot..!! (As always...)

But my question is related to the color of the tracks (white-grayish). I always supposed that track should be an oxide color, but after looking through many prototype photos, I find that they are white-grayish...So, where does this coloring come from..??

Gus, There are as many different colors for rail as there are spikes in the ties. Newer rail will be the color of new steel basically the color of a new gun barrel, then as it ages it will pick up the iron oxide rust. Branch lines and shaded rail show more rust too, nothing standard about it. Within 500 feet of a lubricator the rail will be a greasy blue and at times pick up some white from the automatic sanders applying sand when wheel slip may be detected.
On grades the rail will show sand mixed with oxide as the sand applied to the rails for traction also grinds a little metal with it, and what sand actually makes it under the wheels is powered like powered sugar, this gets splashed on the rail sides when it rains.

I like to "rust" my sidings, but prefer the bluish color for the rail web on the main lines.
Charlie