3rd ops video: The Steel Job
I got into a filming frenzy Saturday while it was gloomy here (beautiful in MN today though!!!) and created this 3rd ops video. It shows one of the half hour to an hour scenarios I can do on the layout when I don't feel like running a full operations sequence. This is the "steel job"; picking up and setting out cars in KP Steel's storage yard. Sound effects provided by iPod recordings of railroad sound albums.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWPUGI6ngpY">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWPUGI6ngpY</a><!-- m -->
Ralph, nice vdeo,good job Thumbsup Wink
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Nice!
It was enjoyable to watch!
I think there are several very good things you're doing here. For starters, the great majority of railfan film before the video era was silent, and DVDs with this film almost always have sound dubbed in. (Now and then the advanced amateurs took tape recorders along, but those DVDs are rare.) So the sound you have with the video matches things as well as what you often see on DVDs from the 1970s. A very good effect!

Also, I agree with the idea of breaking operating sessions down into smaller individual jobs. Lance Mindheim on his blog advocates simply building a layout so small that it takes 45 minutes to operate, but obviously that's not the only solution, and a medium-size layout gives the opportunity for smaller jobs. (Also operating variety -- I was inspired by John Allen's idea of designing a layout that can be operated by several different schematics. This has kept my interest in the layout up over 25 years.)
Thanks guys! JWB, I am grateful for the space that I have. In some ways it allows me to have two separate layouts, one on either side of the room with the major scenes of the two communities of West Mill and Kings Port. I'm having fun making these vids. I'm planning a local that travels through out the layout serving trailing sidings next.