Video: local run w/ modified waybills and simple swichlist
Thanks Gus!

Yep, If I were to build the layout again I'd include a yard where I could make up my trains. The 0-5-0 does the job and then I push the train into staging so it comes out later as if it had been made up in the yard "off layout".

Watching the vid I agree that the speed is fast. Funny how it doesn't seem that way when I'm actually doing it, but that's one good reason to film what I do, for that kind of feedback.

Thanks for watching, by the way!

Ralph
Steamtrains Wrote:...Question...Where do you get the cards..??...11

Sorry, I missed your question in my last post. I made the cards using Word. I print six on one sheet of paper.
Ralph Wrote:Yep, If I were to build the layout again I'd include a yard where I could make up my trains.

It's a great layout, and it's yours, but have you thought about either adding to the benchwork or adaptive re-use of another section of existing benchwork? I'm always tweaking what I use things for.
I have been tempted from time to time by the thought of adding a narrow penninsula down the middle my layout room to accommodate a yard. The drawback would be substantially reduced walking space in the room and I'd lose immediate access from one side of the layout to the other.

I've pondered turning the "holding yard" at KP steel into a general yard, but accessing the last couple of feet of the ladder tracks is an issue. Using these tracks as a place to pick up and set out strings of hoppers or coil cars together is no problem but if I wanted to pull one boxcar in back for a train it wouldn't be very easy. The other consideration is I wouldn't want to lose the steel complex as a rail customer and switching location

The small yard by my car float affords some opportunities for assembling locals to serve industries in the immediate area. I don't make all of the ops from the car float simple transfer runs in which all arrivals by barge get assembled into a train to go to another yard. Some are separated for convenient delivery to Empire Grain, Sal's Salvage, and GERN right in town. So this way I get some train assembly action.

The other possibility, and the most unlikely, is making a hole in the wall to the other side of the basement where the furnace and laundry machines are. It intrigues me to have a yard in a remote location but the space is rough and I'm really not sure I want that much layout. I' d also be stretching the limits of my wife's otherwise very supportive good nature about the hobby. Big Grin

Meanwhile, I feel like I'm getting a lot of satisfaction from the existing operations potential on the Kings Port Division.
Ralph,I forgot to mention..Another thing I like about your waybills/switchlist they can be reused on a rotating schedule without the worry of matching the road initials and car numbers. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!