Updated layout photos
Still working on the backside of the layout adding some ground cover etc.I will admit I found myself doing some things more than once because I did not get the desired results that I was looking for.
First up is the oil dealer. I added a tank truck loading rack with a small pump house and a covered storage area on the left side for drum and pallet storage.The asphalt parking lot was achieved by first gluing down a layer of fine sand.Once this was dry I took charcoal craft paint,added a little black,thinned it with a little water and brushed it on. I was not overly concerned about even coverage because asphalt is not always a consistent color.
[Image: OilCo.jpg]

In the freight handling area I added stone in the area by the fence.This area will be used for inbound/outbound freight,either for truck or rail. I also added a small structure that will serve as a garage/office for the trucking co. serving this area.
[Image: Freight.jpg]

Next up in the freight car clean out track and boiler house. I basically used the same treatment here as I did with the oil co.
[Image: Boiler.jpg]

This last shot shows part of the road that services the cafe and engine house. I was not happy with the way the road was turning out . I saw some pictures on another forum of concrete roads and said to myself "why not"? So I sanded them down some,added expansion joints,smoothed out the shoulders and repainted it. Now I have the look I was after.
[Image: Road-1.jpg]

I still have some work to do on the back side before I go to work on the front side. I figure once I have the front side done and the track ballasted then I can go back and add all the little details and some final scenery details.
Enjoy-Bob
Nice pics!

Looks like you're winning the battle with your camera! Smile
The re-worked road turned out well!
I keep looking at that stack of pallets of oil drums. Nice detail!
Ralph
AWESOME Bob!! Great Pictures, Great Progress, and Great Work!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

One question for you, what's up with the track in the foreground in the second picture? The one with the track bumper at the end, where does it go and how does a train get on it, it looks like its not connected at either end lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Bob, Great progress, and the pictures are really looking good.
I too like the pallets and the drums. I may have to make some. Keep us "posted". Goldth
Charlie
Nice looking pics...Great progress.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Bob,

That is looking great!! I am loving the detail, especially the decrepit fence. The road looks good too. Are you going to weather the road? It looks good as it is, but it looks like the DOT crews just left.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Thanks for the replies and comments everyone. I appreciate it a lot.
The pallets you are referring to are all scratchbuilt. They are a scale 48"x48" and will hold 4-55 gal.drums no problem.
Josh-The track in the second photo is for a small traveling crane that I built. I put the track on an angle so the crane can unload/load gondolas,flats and trucks.It can also service the platform and put freight on that stone area by fence. I'll set up a shot to illustrate this.
Matt-it's a little hard to see but the road is weathered.The two colors of craft paint that I used for some reason do not like to stay mixed.They seem to separate into a light and dark color so that when I brush it on the road the weathering kind of takes care of itself.I can go back and brush it out if it is too dark or pick up some of the dark from container if too light.The only thing I may do is to dry brush some oily black on the road.
Thanks again-Bob
Nice work, I'm a bit confused about the track kinda coming from no where. Icon_lol
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Lynn-check my reply above your post.That track is for a small traveling crane.I will be posting a picture sometime tomorrow to illustrate how the scene will look.
foulrift Wrote:Lynn-check my reply above your post.That track is for a small traveling crane.I will be posting a picture sometime tomorrow to illustrate how the scene will look.
LOL see I knew pictures are worth a thousand words. Icon_lol
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
OK guys-Here are a few shots of the so called mystery track.I don't think much explanation is needed.The pictures speak for themselves.
It might be worth mentioning that all the freight items except for the two truck bodies I scratchbuilt,along with the crane.The flat car I shortened from 40' to 30'.

[Image: Freight3.jpg]
[Image: Freight2.jpg]
[Image: Freight1.jpg]

Enjoy- Bob
Bob that is really cool!!! I like your idea and it makes for a neat little scene Thumbsup Thumbsup Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Thanks Josh-I appreciate the comments.There will be a lot more detail to add down the road.I just wanted to show how that track was being used.How are you coming with your layout? Any progress to report? Bob
foulrift Wrote:OK guys-Here are a few shots of the so called mystery track.I don't think much explanation is needed.The pictures speak for themselves.
It might be worth mentioning that all the freight items except for the two truck bodies I scratchbuilt,along with the crane.The flat car I shortened from 40' to 30'.

Enjoy- Bob

Bob - I like your scenes - they look good!

And I really like the scratch built freight items. My wife suddenly felt a little afraid that our broom for sweeping the stairs outside was in danger of getting a little shorter when I saw those rolls of cable or newsprint or whatever one would want to use them for. Thanks for a good idea! Goldth

Smile,
Stein