AF350's Scratchbuild 2014 summer challenge
e-paw Wrote:Did I just see girl scout cookies???? Big Grin Popcornbeer Big Grin Popcornbeer Big Grin

Yup, unfortunately all I had on hand was an empty box Confusedhock: Icon_lol

Sometime Tuesday will put the two halves together, lots of work still to be done on the mechanical house.

1. Need to make and attach a foundation(in this case 2 layers of red brick)
2. Need make a door(s)
3. Most important need to sure up a frame of sorts to keep house square
4. Paint the mechanical house
5. Start the frame work of the tower before installing the roofing on mechanical house
Well here is the progress for the day.

Well the mechanical house is mostly done now I have started to build the tower portion what fun this is, I have been using recycled card stock(from dry food boxes specifically Girl scout cookies and saltine cracker boxes)as a guide and something to glue the boards to. will have some progress pics by this evening, but for the moment need to run some errands and play a little with a computer game.
Here is today's progress 2285_ Icon_lol 2285_

So far this build has been constructed with recycled cardstock(dry food boxes) and bass wood strips from 3 assortments from micromark, I plan on using a small sheet of balsa as a sub roof for the tower portion of structure, I plan on using simulated shake shingles on the mechanical house and a 2 layer of red brick as a foundation for the mechanical house.
May add chains to buckets and wench house and add some lights 2 on bucket side and one above door on mechanical house.
Still thinking up a paint scheme the tower its self will be a dark brown.
Well no progress today, Have to work in the morning off Saturday and back to work on Sunday and Tuesday first shift.
Saturday will assemble tower and imaginer the wench house and inner workings(non operating static display only).

If I can get to a completed stage it will have some detail not on the original kit that inspired this scratch build mainly operating lights and a lock on the mechanical house door. If I get done before end of challenge may do a standalone diorama to display it.

Being this is my first scratch build structure I think I am doing fairly well so far. Smile Seems a lot easier then rolling stock scratch and kit bashing Icon_lol
Great progress. And the summer has just got started.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Latest up date

Making a large padlock has proven to be more of a challenge that I had first thought but I have yet one more trick to try will post a pic when I successfully make a lock, but for now the project continues to progress. I will fashion some trim from card stock to cover the minor gaps(been using an xacto knife and a straight razor blade to do the cutting). One day I will invest in some decent micro wood working tools.
No progress today,

Tired maybe in the morning I may work on the challenge some.
Ok here is a test fit to see if I have the tower legs at an acceptable height. Still lots to do yet on the tower but it is coming together nicely so far.

That's coming along very nicely! Thumbsup
Eightyeight fan, Ralph,

Thanks for the comments and encouragement, this project had been in the back of my mind for awhile and the summer challenge gave me an excuse to start on it. Icon_lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralph,

I did a search for the container store and there is one in the far north end of town here, all kind of storage bins and little plastic boxes, may have to take a trip up there to look around.
A little bit more progress today this afternoon..................

very cool. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew