AF350's Scratchbuild 2014 summer challenge
And a tiny bit more progress..............

and 2 more pics.....

Last pic is a reminder of what my structure is based on but not an exact copy Smile
And some more pictorial progress reports,

Been slaking off here may do some work on the challenge in the morning, just got home from work.
I'm quite impressed by this!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Hi all,

No progress yet today, but here is a bill of materials so far:

1 empty box of girl scout cookies tagalong
1 empty box of saltine crackers
1 tube of walthers goo
various sized strips of wood from 3 assortments of northwest scale lumber
4 pieces of balsa wood
3 o scale lamps with shades
1 bottle of bright yellow acrylic craft paint
1 bottle of chocolate brown acrylic craft paint
1 bottle of black acrylic craft paint

recipe for the toned down yellow:
4 parts yellow to one part chocolate brown(in this case 4 drops yellow and one drop brown)
Progress report no pics at the moment,

Touched up the paint on tower, lamp fixture and door of the mechanical house, experimented with shake shingles on the roof of mechanical house and was very pleased with the results, I used Bar mills cardstock/paper shingles and use the tiniest amount of goo to attach them to the sub roof glad I painted it black before adding shingles.

Just a bit lazy today but may try to get around to the taking a picture of the roof as it looks really cool.
Here are the latest pics of progress.

I like the shingles! I also need to start putting lights in my structures sometime! Nicely done. Thumbsup
Ralph Wrote:I like the shingles! I also need to start putting lights in my structures sometime! Nicely done. Thumbsup
I like 'em too..!!
I do have lights in most of my structures, powered off an old power-pack so I can regulate the brightness...They really look neat..!! 2285_
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:I like the shingles! I also need to start putting lights in my structures sometime! Nicely done. Thumbsup
I like 'em too..!!
I do have lights in most of my structures, powered off an old power-pack so I can regulate the brightness...They really look neat..!! 2285_

Nothing worse than an out of scale brightness of a small light Cheers

The shingles are by Bar Mills and are printed card stock that has been laser cut, very easy to use and realistic effect.
Still trying to come up with a padlock for the door on mechanical house Icon_lol

Construction wise I still have to make 2 main parts of tower, the roof & housing for the wench and the small enclosed tower for the cables that take the buckets up and down to load the coal tower. Been rethinking that a simulated concrete foundation on the mechanical house would look better then the red brick this would also include some cement footings around the towers legs as well. Will also have to design ladders and scaffolding at some point.
Minor progress last night no pics stormed a lot, best time to sleep. Started to install shingles on tower roof fun stuff and very easy to do. Will not take anymore pics till I complete roof and touch up the paint here and there.
Will work on the tower some more this week, been too tired and lazy last couple days Icon_lol
Completed the roof on tower with shingles. will post some pics latter, glad I painted the sub roof black before attaching the shingles.

I think I have an idea of how to make a large railroad pad lock as my first attempts failed I need a small safety pin , side cutters and a pair of needle nose pliers and some paint.

One last major component of the tower yet to build, and then it will all be small tasks like a foundation for the shed and footings for the tower posts and buckets for loading the tower.