Railfanning in North Carolina
Going to be vacationing on the Outer Banks for two weeks this summer, does anyone know of any railfanning locations that would be within a two hour drive of the Outer Banks area?

Bruce
I think about your only good bet would be the original-NS line south from Norfolk through Hertford, Washington, Plymouth, NC, etc. I checked Google maps, and Hertford is a 1 hr 26 minute drive from Nags Head. I worked summer jobs in the area in the 1960s and found it hard to railfan with not a whole lot of visible daytime traffic -- don't know if this has changed at all. But hey, you take good photos. . .
That's also a tall order given that you can drive two hours in the Outer Banks and still be *in* the Outer Banks
It's all low-density branch lines in that area until you get into the CSX main line at Rocky Mount. If you've got a weekday, a scanner, and a good map, you ought to be able to find something running in the area.
Thanks for the help, most of the info I found on the web is outdated and was hoping that someone could point out a few areas to railfan.

Bruce