Weekly Photo Fun 8/1 - 8/7/14
Wayne,

You have a great looking and detailed layout. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Bruce
bdw9535 Wrote:Wayne,

You have a great looking and detailed layout. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Bruce
I am always impressed by the precision of the structures. All corners are precise 90° angle. There is no bricolage even on the closeups.
Reinhard
bdw9535 Wrote:
Lester Perry Wrote:Hey Bruce is the yard truck in the last pic an Ottawa or Capacity?

Lester,

I believe that the Athearn yard tractors are modeled after the Ottawa's.

Bruce

I have driven both, the Ottawa is the better of the two. I kind of miss driving trucks. I doubt if I could even climb up on one now. It just brought back some good memory's. Big Grin Big Grin
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Bruce and Reinhard, thank you both for the kind words. :oops:

However, there are plenty of non-90° corners in those photos, and many of them are intentionally so. F'rinstance, both the station....

[Image: Structurebracing007.jpg]

...and the Languay building....

[Image: Structurebracing010.jpg]

...are tapered.

National Grocers is a real mishmash:

[Image: Structurebracing013.jpg]

[Image: Structurebracing018.jpg]

[Image: Structurebracing016.jpg]

Here's an over-all view of the area:

[Image: BarneySecordfliestheGrandValley--14.jpg]

Wilkinson-Kompass also cuts a few corners...

[Image: Layoutviewsetc022.jpg]

...and, just across the street, the Evell Casket Company (not visible in the earlier photos) has an entirely different angle on business:

[Image: Somelayoutviews004.jpg]

There are other examples of my crooked eye elsewhere on the layout, too. The icehouse at Lowbanks is tapered to accommodate both the curved backdrop and the angle of its siding, and it's also bent at the overhead walkway (just barely visible) between the two structures:

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd233-1.jpg]

It's probably more noticeable here, in the distance at far left:

[Image: BarneySecordfliestheGrandValley--7.jpg]

And the most glaring example of all is at GERN, where almost everything is curved, skewed, or at an odd angle:

[Image: BarneySecordfliestheGrandValley--13.jpg]

Wayne
I completely enjoyed that structure tour Wayne!
Wayne
I've mentioned before that my grandfather was a manager at National Grocers in Niagara Falls. What I remember in the '50s is that it was located along a curved spur coming off the rail line at the top of Clifton Hill. Not sure if they used the spur.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David, my version of National Grocers is based on the one in Hamilton - not that I ever saw it, but my parents had friends in the hotel business, and my mother sometimes shopped there with them. To this day, I don't know where it was or if it's still around, or if at least the building survived. I do remember National Bakery, though, on York St.. and a lot of other interesting shops and delis - all lost during the urban renewal makeover in the '60s and '70s. Sad
Many of the industries on the layout were inspired by actual industries, some in Hamilton and others elsewhere which have personal significance, but most bear little or no resemblance to their prototypes. Most of it is just a train ride down memory lane. Goldth

Wayne
Stretching the timeline of my layout but the Atlas GP40 is one of my smoothest runners. It is pure ear candy Smile
[Image: IMG_3547_zps09365725.jpg]
Reinhard
From the Normal side of my train hobby. Eek GP 35m 2370 in her original colours pulling covered hopper GVR 4107 in her new colour and graphics around the Onandaga Sub.Next month 2370 will have served the GVR for 30 years.(ATLAS/KATO loco)

[Image: GVR4107_a.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Doc,
all time great modeling art! Nice to see your pictures of your layout. Thanks!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Just switching
[Image: IMG_3549_zps99f17dd9.jpg]
Reinhard