N-gauge
Boy, I tell ya, I knew N was going to be a little different, but jeez. I installed a decoder into an engine last night, and lost the screws for the couplers twice, in high carpet. Luckily, I have a strong magnet. Them couplers are s-m-all. I soldered some feeds to the rails tonight for the first time. Those are going to have to be hidden. You can't hide these wires under ballast like HO. Is soldering common in N for feeders? I've heard the terminal rail joiners aren't the best. Wondering what you all do. I will have some pictures of the layout and start a thread for it after I get the track all laid, probably sometime at the end of next week. Thanks.
"You did NOT cut a hole in the wall for the train, did you?" - the wife
The Waynesburg Southern
Blue Mountain Aerial Mapping
I soldered all the railjoiners and all the sectional tracks on my ( tiny 25"X36" layout ) and on my micro ( 11" X 23" ) Peco Flextrack layout
I'm glad I did it. At least I don't have to worry about electrical contact problems.
Reliability is my #1 goal when building a layout.

Jacques
joefryfry Wrote:Boy, I tell ya, I knew N was going to be a little different, but jeez. I installed a decoder into an engine last night, and lost the screws for the couplers twice, in high carpet. Luckily, I have a strong magnet. Them couplers are s-m-all. I soldered some feeds to the rails tonight for the first time. Those are going to have to be hidden. You can't hide these wires under ballast like HO. Is soldering common in N for feeders? I've heard the terminal rail joiners aren't the best. Wondering what you all do. I will have some pictures of the layout and start a thread for it after I get the track all laid, probably sometime at the end of next week. Thanks.

No, but you can drill a hole and attach the feeder wire from below...and THEN it's covered by the ballast! Thumbsup