End Of a Era.
When Hal died the writing was on the wall. From what I understand, his kids have no interest in the hobby, and squabble among themselves. All they wanted was as much cash out of the business as they could get.
Charlie B Wrote:I belong to several yahoo groups and in fact I own one with 75 members. The only hacking I am aware of comes from someone getting a phishing email asking them to log on to their account. They look close, but normally the spelling is bad, and the link is a false address. Your advise advise works for the entire internet.
Charlie
My wife and me get at least each 10 phishing emails a day. Most of them became extreme well made over the last years. The safest way to detect those perfect made fakes is the content of either a link (into some dirt) or an attachment (with some dirt). Correct emails from PayPal, banks etc. never have links or attachments here in Germany.
Reinhard
Looks like it will go on Thumbsup
http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/PDF/WRP...140829.pdf
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Looks like it will go on Thumbsup
http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/PDF/WRP...140829.pdf

YAHOOOO! Railfan lives! 2285_ I will subscribe to Railfan..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Wonder what they will do about all the writers carstens burned
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I wish them well. It has to be very difficult to survive with the print media today. Loss of advertisers, and readers too, have to hurt. There is so much detailed information on the internet that folks are relying on it. The Encyclopedia Britannica has passed due to the wealth of information on the web.
I admit filtering all the true information, returned on a search, from advertizements and garbage from Ask.com and ehow, makes it a little harder but you can set up filters to rid the search of most of them.
I think competing with BIGBLUE.COM would be enough trouble.
Charlie
There was an article in the news the other day about a bookless library that just opened on a college campus somewhere. I didn't read it, but I'm guessing that this will be the trend and that one of these days, the electronic media library will be the only thing available, and they will make museums at of all the others..... :cry: Oh well, I never could make sense out of the Dewy Decimal system anyway..... Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
The only times books and my computer "interface", is when I go online to order "real" books... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
by Steamtrains »

The only times books and my computer "interface", is when I go online to order "real" books...

I'm with you on that one. Thumbsup

by jglfan »

When Hal died the writing was on the wall. From what I understand, his kids have no interest in the hobby, and squabble among themselves. All they wanted was as much cash out of the business as they could get.

I'm glad you said it,, not me Big Grin

by tomustang »

Wonder what they will do about all the writers carstens burned

We will have to wait and see. I want to see what the new publishers put out as the "NEW" RMC. If it's any good I will have to resubscribe.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Hi there,
I´m a subscriber to both RMC and MRR and I´m also looking for tips etc on the net.But for me it´s something different to look into a magazin or on the screen...I own a lot of books and don´t want to miss the adventure of reading a book...I have a tablet with the kindle feature and have downloaded some books but it´s not my kind of reading....So I´ll stay with books...I grew up with computers and I´m still getting older with them and also getting up to date with all that digital things...But I´m still reading books ,playing my old LP´s from time to time and driving vintage cars without all that electronics.....and it´s always a pleasure to do those things....
Started reading the Complete Book of North American Railroading yesterday evenig... Thumbsup

Cheers,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Just in case I'm not the only one whose computer won't connect to the posted link, I did find this:
White River Productions acquires Railroad Model Craftsman, Railfan & Railroad
By Hal Miller
Published: September 2, 2014
White River Productions of Bucklin, Mo., has acquired Railroad Model Craftsman and Railfan & Railroad magazines, as well as the book line formerly published by Carstens Publications. Existing subscriptions to the magazines will be honored and fulfilled by White River Productions, according to the new owner.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Just in case I'm not the only one whose computer won't connect to the posted link, I did find this:
By Hal Miller
White River Productions of Bucklin, Mo., has acquired Railroad Model Craftsman and Railfan & Railroad magazines, as well as the book line formerly published by Carstens Publications. Existing subscriptions to the magazines will be honored and fulfilled by White River Productions, according to the new owner.

Can't read YELLOW!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Just in case I'm not the only one whose computer won't connect to the posted link, I did find this:
By Hal Miller

There ya go!
Ralph
The colors. Oh the colors!
Weird. I have a blue background here, so the yellow showed up fine in the original post. But quoted, with the BRIGHT WHITE box for the quoted text - THAT was unreadable.
--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com