used water set decals for first time
I have had this Bachmann Spectrum dash 8-40CW sitting in the box waiting for me to do the decal job on.
I got the nerve up and removed the LMS factory painted lettering. Used IsopropyL Alchol 99%.I usedMicro Scale decals to add the wet noodle and make into 3 foot model for the CN/IC Dash 8-40CW. I could not justify the price of the atlas ready to run model. I had the Spectrum model so off came the LMS markings just like in the real world and CN was put in its place.
I had fun doing it and learned a few things.I only ripped one noodle. I am very pleased with it, now have to get some decal sealant and call it good. I am not ready yet to do the front number boards but I am very pleased. Will fill the void of my leasers.
Now the Leaser CEO is very happy the bigger leasing companies are coming for overhauls and repaints.
New units added to the fleet this month
AC 4400 CEFX 1049 Athearn( ready to run model)
Dash 8-40CW CN 2456 Bachmann Spectrum

I now understand the joy of detailing and making your own models

Stuart Warren
CEO
Canadian Locomotive Leasers
Go Big or GO Home
Congrats! Got any pics? Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Way to go Stuart! Thumbsup
Ralph

there is the rental fleet in rental colours along with my first try with micro scale decals doing the CN version of the Dash8-40CW. I donot think i have the wet noodle in the right spot but I ma happy with it for now. doing the nose numbers will drive me nuts but some point I will try it.
The MP 15DC is a low cost rental the name is just hung ona piece of ply wood and bolted to the locomotive side. I used my printer to make the company name and pinted it and used thin double sided tape to attach it to the locomotive.
I have to get the numbers fixed.
but that is a start.
The res tof the fleet is all former CN units still wearing the CN paint. We are short staffed and short of companies leasing our equipment in this down turn of the economy , waiting to lease the units before repaint, could be a while.
Stuart
CEO
Nice Job! Thumbsup
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Cheers The CN noodle looks sharp on that big blue unit!
Ralphj\
Woah, nice work, Stuart. Smile

I see that you've been working on 6 axle diesel engines. What's your minimum curve radius?
http://www.balcos.net
Michael Balcos
Hell-bent model railroader in the Philippines Smile
hell of alot better than my first time 35 ,they look great--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
i have a small switch yard operation.

my layout is L shape 16 inches wide, 96 inches on the long side of the L, the short is 16 inches by 80 inches.

not many curves so to speak. They are 22 inches radius, to 23 radius, not very big.
Most of my fleet is 6 axle units, 1 8 axle unit, makes for a lousy switcher.
I do have a large fleet of Gp 7 or Gp 9, and SW 9s and 1200s
i have fun. I consider myself a fleet leaser. This way I can model exactly what I like.
I have one industry that is serviced a small co-op with one silo. ( it is the life like co-op model)
I also have one rail car repair service center. Just a small unknown building i cut a hole in the wall to fit a rail car inside.
The Leasing Company owns and maintains one 3 stall roundhouse.for repairs and shelter from the weather ( atlas roundhouse)
it is not a very exciting layout but i am learning much from this layout then i did from the huge layouts I built when i was married and had a lot of room and so on, but was always too busy repairing and redoing stuff to enjoy it.
this is a lot more fun and interest to me.
I am glad you guys said something positive about the loco, i have think skin, i can take the negative asnwers but for those younger modellers out there, to hear positive responses helps them become better modellers and maybe we will not be the last of the model railroaders. I do not know many with the interst under 30 these days. i am 39 all my model trains friends are over 45.
thanks for enjoying my efforts
stuart
CEO
Nice! That noodle is too new for me (I'm 1920s CNR), but it sure looks great on the blue loco. I don't think CN ever had a blue loco, but maybe they should reconsider...! Wink Big Grin Thumbsup

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:Nice! That noodle is too new for me (I'm 1920s CNR), but it sure looks great on the blue loco. I don't think CN ever had a blue loco, but maybe they should reconsider...! Wink Big Grin Thumbsup

Andrew

Indeed they did!
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.p...toID=77031

Ex-CR/LMS units. They were relettered LMSX, and when the lease expired went to IC.
Dave
-Dave
Nice work Stuart! I find the hardest part is getting it to go on straight.

Val
When I lived in Iowa 2000 to -2004, I was lucky enough to see one of theLMS units up close, it was paired with Sd75 CN unit doing a car pick up at the local co-op, late one night. I was sent email from various people letting me know it was going to be in town. i wandered down with a flashlight, so the crew could see me. It was too dark for pictures, so no pictures, but one of the crew let me climb up inside and take a look around. items included, microwave oven, hot plate, mini fridge. This loco later became one of the GE units purchased and called ICRR home.

I could not justify the cost of the atlas model. i think this close enough model cost me 20 bucks for the loco, 10 bucks for the decals and I learned how to use the decals. much better than the rub on ones. easier too