Chicago DC wires, the overhead 1500v type...
Hi all does anyone here model anything with overhead wires.
I'm kind of into the Chicago Southshore & southbend railroad and the post 1990 NICTD electric units that operate out to Michigan. Anyone else model this?
I know that Island models sell kits for the single and dual level units and it's easy to source GP38-2s and a 40. But does anyone know of any drawings of the NICTD sets built by Sharyo as I think I could 3d print one as the Island models kits are expensive especially as I'll need a few and the RCD sets needed to get motors and wheels. All begins to add up.
I like the idea of building a gauntlet track for a through station. Also there are chances to run small freights too with big orange geeps.
Am I mad to try this? The idea being some kind of end to end layout for exhibition purposes.

Does anyone know when the NICTD stopped using short trains as there are lots of photos from the 90s and early 2000s with 2 or 3 car trains but all the current day photos show trains of 5-6+ at minimum.

It's late here (explains the waffling) just curious as to what others model if anything similar.

Kind regards
Dave
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.
Dave,

You might be mad. I remember I was visiting Andy Rubbo's Northeast Corridor layout, and he commented that to model this requires Commitment.

He is right on many levels. Both commuter modelling and electric modelling are niche interests in the United States. I model the electrified commuter operations throughout New Jersey and around Philadelphia, and it doesn't get easier (or cheaper) ever. Its taken me a few years just to find some of these commuter cars, let alone afford them.

In your case, Island Model Works and Model Memories make your life easier. Almost everything you need is offered in kit form and is readily available. You ccan get South Shore Catenary here- <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modelmemories.com/hocat.htm#othercat">http://www.modelmemories.com/hocat.htm#othercat</a><!-- m -->

As far as prices go, you're probably not going to have a lot of luck finding them cheaper. Island Model Works actually offers some of the lower prices relative to most other commuter model manufacturers. Even the "cheap" Mass produced models tend to be made in small numbers, and their cost tends to skyrocket quickly on sites like Ebay. Such is the case with the "Horizon" Commuter cars offered by Walthers. They started at $25, but good luck finding them for less than $50. In fact, most "good" HO passenger cars cost at least $60, so the Island Model Works price isn't that high.

When it comes to 3D printing, just for the Body shell, you'll be paying close to the cost of the whole Island Model Works kit, then you still need to print the frame and other details, and that is if you use some of the cruder plastics.

In the long run, you're probably better off just picking up a few models at a time as your budget allows.

Like I said in the beginning, this sort of prototype requires commitment. It really has to be something you love and are interested deeply in, otherwise the work and costs will not be worth it.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Many thanks for the informed reply. I have looked in to modelling UK overhead electric railways quite extensively so I'm clear on the modelling abilities required to model over head wires.

Your quite right about the available models/kits etc and while the IM kits are good I'd thought about the 3d printing as a modelling aid and overlaying castings and etches of my own. Plus I'm in the UK and the importing adds extra cost. However I haven't found any drawings for the single level commuter trains and being in England going out measure one might be out of the question.

Thanks for the link to modelmemories as I'd not known about them. As you point out its something I can build up over time.
I shall keep researching.
Do you have a layout thread, away from Chicago land I too am partial to NJ railroads. Thumbsup

EDIT: Opened my eyes to find your thread next to this one!! Thanks.

Kind regards
Dave
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.