Pere Marquette, Flint, Michigan
Every time I log on here, I find myself all over the place trying to find all of my posts, as well as all of the other ones that I am keeping track of. So, I have opted to follow the lead of others. I am going to consolidate all of my build threads into this one. This will cover everything from kit construction, loco construction, layout construction, et al.

Stay tuned, there is some interesting stuff to come.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
So I started working on the roundhouse late last week. I began by washing and drying all the parts. I then prepared a mortar wash for the brick face walls. After applying the wash, I noticed something that has never happened before. The wash was not settling into the mortar lines, instead it left a concrete like haze on the brick faces. So, I washed and dried these4 parts again and re-applied the wash, same thing happened. I am stumped as to why this is happening. I think I am going to have to do it with an artist crayon, or a chalk. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Matt
Matt I have seen your process applied and worked fine, is it possible you have a batch of old plaster?
Any pics?
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
iis612 Wrote:So I started working on the roundhouse late last week. I began by washing and drying all the parts. I then prepared a mortar wash for the brick face walls. After applying the wash, I noticed something that has never happened before. The wash was not settling into the mortar lines, instead it left a concrete like haze on the brick faces. So, I washed and dried these4 parts again and re-applied the wash, same thing happened. I am stumped as to why this is happening. I think I am going to have to do it with an artist crayon, or a chalk. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Matt

Yes, and this is why I no longer use this technique - it was turning my bricks pink!

Instead, I use spackle (lightweight joint compound). Apply to painted bricks with your finger, or a "trowel" made from a piece of scrap styrene, so that it gets into the grooves between the bricks. Then, scrape across the surface with another piece of scrap styrene. The spackle remains in the grooves and looks just like mortar.

Here's an example of a building I did with that technique.
[Image: modular2.jpg]

cheers
Val
Val,

Your example looks incredible!! I am going to have to try that. I bet it goes alot faster than with an artist chalk too. Thanks for the tip.

Lynn,

I don't have pics. My wife has the camera at work. I made the wash just before I applied it. My first thought was that I had not rinsed the part enough after washing it the first time. But after washing it a second time, and rinsing it VERY thoroughly, I know that wasn't it. I wonder if it has something to do with plastic. I am going to give Val's technique a shot.

Matt
I had to find a way to clean the mortar haze off the brick face. I had some "Goof Off" wipes left over from when the house was painted. They worked perfectly. The wall sections not only cleaned up nicely, but the mortar lines are now done as well. I just need to go over the walls with some colored pencils and highlight a few bricks, so the wall is not so monotenous. I should have some real progress to report tomorrow, along with some pics.

Matt
I seem to be in some sort of modeler's funk. I think about working on my kits, and layout pretty much constantly. However, when it comes to getting off my duff and doing something I can't seem to get moving. I want to get alot done, and put my vision into something palpable, but I have no drive right now. My roundhouse kit is sitting, exactly as I left it after my last post.
I went down in the basement the other night, turned on the CD player, and just stared at stuff for about 5 minutes, then shut everything off and went back upstairs. The upside is that my daughter woke up after having a nightmare, and I was there for her. In the basement I would have never heard her.
During the day between Monday and Friday, I am home alone. Aside from some housework, I pretty much do nothing but check out the forum and play online poker (which is how I am funding my layout, at least until the car wreck).
Does anyone know a way to break out of this funk?
I think a part of my problem is that the train room is a wreck. All of the stuff I put down to weigh down the foam board is still there. I have so many kits that I literally did not know where to start. I am just overwhelmed by all of the mess that I have made for myself. I should get off my lazy tail and get to cleaning.

Matt
Don't feel bad, Matt - we've all been there. Don't forget, this is a hobby, and there are no deadlines. Unless of course you're having people over to see the layout, hehe.

In fact, that is a pretty good motivator. Another is to pick one project and work on that. Forget all the kits that aren't getting built and just focus on the one that is. Big Grin

cheers
Val
I'm with Val.
There's been times I've gone up to the layout room, and just stared at the layout. Don't run trains, don't work on it, just stare. And like you, have gone down in the basement...and just listened to some tunes, not even pick up a paint brush or X-Acto blade.
It does happen from time to time.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I think its safe to say we all do it. I usually find something else to occupy myself with and eventually, I come around.
Welcome to the glum club, we all hit this every once in a while. My biggest problem is I seem not to finish anything, it gets so far and I start researching on something next thing you know I'm in the glum club for a bit. Icon_lol
Right now I have the sawmill ( not 100% completed ) in the layout and mostly sealed in place, working on the river bed trying to get the right color. Perhaps as you read each thread something will catch your interest. You said your layout room is a mess right now, I don't dare post a pic of my train room, perhaps you can go down and tidy things up to the point where you can run a train? Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Alright, enough sitting on my tail. I am going to get something done today. :hey: 219
I did manage to get some stuff done today...
I renewed my drivers license, and my cars tags. I met with my attorney. I went grocery shopping. I went to physical therapy. I went to the post office. Icon_lol

I did do all of those things, but I also managed to finish the mortar lines on the roundhouse walls, and get a couple of the walls assembled. I also took some time and tore down the Mikado to the frame and valve gear. I have found where it is binding. I will have to take the gear off and do some filing on the piston guides. It would seem that when I attached the bulkhead(?) at the end of the guides, they bent in towards the center. I will do some filing on the bulkhead and the guides and add some lubricant. Then, after putting it back together, I will try the glass test. We will see what happens.

Matt
Hello Matt, having been born and raised in Flint, and graduated from Flint Central High in 1961, I had to check your work, do you have any pictures of your layout? I'm now living in Mattawan, Mich, just West of Kalamazoo, my job brought me here, but am retired now. will keep checking your site.

Duane H

iis612 Wrote:I did manage to get some stuff done today...
I renewed my drivers license, and my cars tags. I met with my attorney. I went grocery shopping. I went to physical therapy. I went to the post office. Icon_lol

I did do all of those things, but I also managed to finish the mortar lines on the roundhouse walls, and get a couple of the walls assembled. I also took some time and tore down the Mikado to the frame and valve gear. I have found where it is binding. I will have to take the gear off and do some filing on the piston guides. It would seem that when I attached the bulkhead(?) at the end of the guides, they bent in towards the center. I will do some filing on the bulkhead and the guides and add some lubricant. Then, after putting it back together, I will try the glass test. We will see what happens.

Matt
Duane,

All that exists of my layout, currently, is some benchwork and foam. I don't have current pics.
I, too, grew up in Michigan. Mt. Morris, to be exact. I graduated from Davison High in 91. I now reside in the Chicago area.
I am unable to find information about how McGrew was layed out in the 40's, so I am going to be working from memory, as I used to work for CSX.

I am going to try to be faithful to the prototype, but I am also going to be using alot of modeler's license. Please, check back. I am hoping that there will be alot of updates to come soon.

Matt