casting parts?
Has anybody on here done any casting of their own parts? It's been something that's always been of interest to me, and I was looking at casting kits in a recent catalog I got in the mail. And now I've possibly found a reason. I ordered a walthers ore dock kit off ebay that was still in the plastic, however many parts seem to have became de-sprued and many smaller parts broke. Was thinking I could make molds of the good parts and remake some of the broken ones. Any advice on trying something like this?
Check my thread here .. It shows lots of casting and fabricating in it.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5279">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5279</a><!-- l -->
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Great method of casting a cab,

Gave me some Ideas to try out some time down the road.

I have cast and molded a few stock cars and some other stuff. Best advice I can give is to have a clean and level<---(this is a must) work space so you get an even fill of the mold. Read instructions on casting material and use gloves as uncured resin or part a and part b thereof are eye and skin irritants same goes for silicone rubber mold material . I have used Micro marks casting stuff and I have also used stuff from Blick art supplies as well. If you decide to cast more stuff later on you can save a bit of money buy getting clear disposable drink cups and wood craft sticks at the dollar stores. Casting can be messy as well as fun. Good luck.
E-paw, that was a very interesting thread, loved the outcome of your build!
I needed to build an HO model of a parking garage. It required duplicating a pattern many times, so I tried the method of making a mold and casting "panels". The mold worked well I think. I did need to create a second mold after about 10 castings, as the rubber became a bit more brittle. I am however pleased with the results. The actual garage is shown in the photo just right of the model, albeit a little difficult to see. I still need to paint and detail the structure. I think you may find the process rather enjoyable.

Mike

[[Image: 028_zps60de26e7.jpg]