Weekly Photo Fun - April 3rd-April 10th, 2015
Monday already and no WPF? Here is a pic of my scratchbuilt O-scale Baldwin S-12 to kick it off.

[Image: 312-1.JPG]
Kurt
A very nice start Kurt.
Was out rail fanning on the AMG when I saw this car in the consist. Not a great photo I’m afraid, possibly because it was going 3% faster, but another load of a great Gern product heading to a happy customer.

“Gern Flux-O-Ment makes your concrete 3% lighter,3% stronger, 3% more earthquake proof and sprinkled lightly on your morning cereal, a 3% improvement on your daily constitution. Tastes Good Too!!!”

Cheers, the Bear. Big Grin
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
My (G)normus Scale Winchester & Western GP38-2
Almost done. Just a few detail parts and do the coupler conversion.

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
cnw1961 Wrote:Monday already and no WPF? Here is a pic of my scratchbuilt O-scale Baldwin S-12 to kick it off.

SMS is in my neck of the woods! I will have to visit them one day if I get the chance, they still run these old Baldwins up there. They are apparently very good pullers. My understanding was that the reason Conrail retired them so quickly (apart from age and Baldwins not being very common) was that they were MUed pneumatically, making them incompatible with all other diesel designs as for as multiple unit operations was concerned.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I've begun decaling my GP40P. Right now, the main complication is that the yellow stripe decals keep breaking apart. Clearly, I need to get some liquid decal film or something to hold them together. I'm hoping I won't need to buy a whole new sheet!

4105's end stripes are challenging since they are "60 degrees" relative to the deck, a stripe pattern apparently not available as is in 6" yellow decal stripes. The stripes are also challenging in that they don't want to lay down "around the corners".

If I was less crazy, I probably should have settled on 4104, it seemed to lack end striping in the Conrail era. That would have been too easy though, and the stripes add to the appearance!

[Image: P4042561.jpg]

The Tropicana Orange Juice train passes eastbound on Track 2 as a Metroliner zooms west on Track 4

[Image: 59824685-25fd-4326-aa63-ecf12603e0b0.jpg]

An overhead view. Though inconspicuous, the brass material for the catenary poles is laying against track 4, and I have sketched in the locations of the major scenery items. Rest assured, there WILL be wire up by the end of this month!

The only complication will be the Hand Place overpass, which bisects the module just off-center (visible as Cris-crossed lines next to the ends of the second and third Metroliner). Here the catenary profile will need to be "adjusted" to pass underneath. I'm hoping to install a "brass skeleton" at this location, which will support the catenary ridigly (the catenary on the prototpye is also mounted onto the sides of the overpass). It won't look pretty, but I can eventually build the overpass around it.

I plan to use brass angle and sheets to build the bridge so that it is sturdy, but leave enough space to affix styrene to the bridge and "stone abutments" to the ends.

[Image: P4042563.jpg]
Nice progress pics gents Thumbsup . GEC,, I have also been foaming at the camera to visit the SMS, but I don't know the aria,,,, :wait: :wait: :wait: do I smell a field trip?

Here are a few progress shots of my own. My CNJ ply-would caboose is all painted up ( it's actually tacky). once it dry, she will get decals.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Kurt,

An excellent model. Applause

Just a suggestion to paint the inside of the horn trumpet red as SMS did on 308.

Bruce
e-paw Wrote:GEC,, I have also been foaming at the camera to visit the SMS, but I don't know the aria,,,, :wait: :wait: :wait: do I smell a field trip?]

You may want to call ahead to make arrangements first as they have put up a locked gate at the entrance. They also want visitors to get a pass and wear a visibility vest but they are still very railfan friendly as long as you don't abuse the privilege.

Bruce
I thought that most of the area served by SMS is public access. I agree with you to notify the railroad. From what I remember, the crews were pretty much rail fan friendly since they, themselves, are pretty much rail fans.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:
cnw1961 Wrote:Monday already and no WPF? Here is a pic of my scratchbuilt O-scale Baldwin S-12 to kick it off.

SMS is in my neck of the woods! I will have to visit them one day if I get the chance, they still run these old Baldwins up there. They are apparently very good pullers. My understanding was that the reason Conrail retired them so quickly (apart from age and Baldwins not being very common) was that they were MUed pneumatically, making them incompatible with all other diesel designs as for as multiple unit operations was concerned.

They were retiring all of the minority builders so that they could streamline maintenance b not having such a varied parts selection. By the 1980s, Conrail had pretty much standardized to EMD 645s (with a few GP10s thrown in).

Great job Kurt. That is one amazing model.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Heading up the Kennequogue River, at the Cindys Harbor Bridge:

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Back to 1980 when Conrail was doing the switching work along Dock Street. 9986 picks up a boxcar at City Supply.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Outstanding work/projects/shots folks! Thumbsup Applause

I'm going to be the odd ball and post something a bit different, heres an actual FM quarter century employee roster, the last one my Grandfather had got before he passed on.

Don't know if there are any FM fans out there but....

[Image: DSCN0362_zps65kpbqua.jpg]
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
e-paw Wrote:Nice progress pics gents Thumbsup . GEC,, I have also been foaming at the camera to visit the SMS, but I don't know the aria,,,, :wait: :wait: :wait: do I smell a field trip?

Here are a few progress shots of my own. My CNJ ply-would caboose is all painted up ( it's actually tacky). once it dry, she will get decals.

Hey, if you guys want to come down into South Jersey, let me know! My work hours are very flexible. Might pay to visit the SRNJ if you're down here. Cape May Seashore Lines might be a bit of a trip, but they've got some good stuff down there.

Very good work on the caboose!
Making new wheel rims out of plumber's stuff:
[Image: dsc045387ejrf.jpg]
This is for a Lionel 0 Scale ALCO S-4 to get rid of the traction tires.

[Image: dsc04541vikde.jpg]
The grooved wheels were turned down and new rims were soldered onto.
Then the wheel contour was turned with the late to get as close to the NMRA RP-25/145.

[Image: dsc04552o0jdt.jpg]
Result: a 2-Rail Lionel Loco without traction tires.

Lutz