A thick and large pressure tank ...
... that I must build after I have found this picture.

[Image: naca-density-tunnel-k.jpg]

(Picture is free usable - free use after permission details of wikipedia.org.)

Please open the gallery on my website and you will find a lot of pictures about prototype and progress of building - tank and flatcar (also with short remarks in English).

Here two pictures of (almost) finished project.

[Image: pressuretank_51k.jpg]

[Image: pressuretank_53k.jpg]

Model needs color and lettering, a little weathering yet, and then it will be ready for use.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Wunderbar Cheers Worship
Thank you for sharing,
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
What a unique load! I'm looking forward to seeing it painted. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Any more progress on those White Swan reefers lurking in the background, Bernhard?

Wayne
Absolutely astonishing..!!

I'm lucky to be able to glue 2 pieces of balsa wood perpendicular to each other... :oops:
Gus (LC&P).
Bear, Doc and Gus,

thank you very much for your interest and compliments! I would like to say that this tank was not an extreme complicated work, however I must say I have made a lot attempts until I was satisdied with result. One sample. The tanks has exact 3.612 rivets. However I thank that I pressed two, maybe three times rivets all together - and this is a good number. I must say also that all rivets were pressed by hand. However the result counts and I think that I can present this model.

Doc, unfortunately the "White Swan" reefers are unchanged since last 12 months.

[Image: whiteswan-tuerverriegelung-3d_2k.jpg]
The problem is to cast this frame with the two inner door latches as brass parts. The connection between the two latches is the locking mechanism and there the brass caster has problems. The wax does not run out completely from the mold and so the brass cann't fill completely the mold. The modelmaker, who has taken this job, printed already third or fourth time a slight different master form, however the result was not usablely until last month. Last week a new master was given to caster and we all hope anew for success.
You and all here will read again about continuing of this project and I'm sure that I can finish these models in next time. However I don't know when. Next month? This year? Or later yet? Here a link yet to last posts of this project - http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=22&t=6827
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Sorry, I did post my newest picture for my pressure tank and the planned Xtra train in the wrong thread.
Here a reply of that post.

Three flat cars for my Xtra train with the extralarge pressure tank are painted and weathered.

[Image: flatcar_alle3-kf.jpg]

Left a Red Caboose 42' flat car with its original lettering for NYC.
In Center my modified and shortened 36' flat car (originally also a 42' Red Caboose model) which is lettered for the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. after the prototypical flat car for transporting the fat pressure tank. And on right end a PRR F-29 flat car. All models are aged and relatively heavy weathered and so I think to have a good contrast to the fresh painted pressure tank. I will use the flats on the left and on the right as idler cars for the short Xtra-train which I plan for transporting this very large load.

Meanwhile the tank arrived and it looks fantastic! However before next picture I'm building an adequate fixing which does not exist on photo of prototype.
I think that I don't longer need than four or five days.
Cheers, Bernd

Some days after cars I received also the pressure tank. Fantastic painting job by my friend from Leipzig, Germany. Thanks!

[Image: pressuretank_60-k.jpg]

Laying the tank on saddles and fixing by screws were not a problem. However how should I fix the tank for transporting by train?
Look the picture of prototype on my opening post and there you can not find a fixing in any sort. However I think also that this was a picture of in-plant moving, and not more. And if you remember, the tank was shipped by a barge to receiver, not by rails.
In this way fixing by steel bands over the tank was the most logical method to me. Such bands must be available from the stock at the largest private ship builder at that time. However how to paint them? Rusty steel? No, this was not that what I would like to have. Shining bands, no again.
I have etched my nickel-silver strips with two different metal blackener and found that the darker one should be the best solution.

[Image: pressuretank_61-k.jpg]

The next question, should I protect the tank by underlaid wood? Maybe also against slip of bands out of their positions?

[Image: pressuretank_62-k.jpg]

No, I have decided to use a strong reduced solution with a protection of bands on edges. Not more. (In reality, this shall be more a protection against heavy pressure of bands on the pressed plastic rivets.)

[Image: pressuretank_63k.jpg]

At end of my thoughts and my work, this is the tank fixed on the flat car owned by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. (NNS&DD), also the builder of tank. Ready for transporting on rails?

[Image: pressuretank_64k.jpg]

A view on other tank cupola opposite of manhole with the bearing for power shaft of propeller inside of tank.

[Image: pressuretank_65k.jpg]

Here a picture how I fastened the bands at stake pockets. I have riveted an U-bow with threads onto the bands and I used small nuts made from NBWs for stretching the bands against small brackets which are fastened inside of stake pockets.

[Image: pressuretank_66k.jpg]

My small friend who is watching about my work and maybe he asks - and what is with a securing of tank against gliding in running direction of car? I reality my friend from Leipzig asked this after I have sent him as a first a picture of ready car.
Until this point I was sure that this what I have done is enough for securing the load. My idea is to run this car on an extra train at low speed, max 15 or 20 mph. Should I need a more and stronger fixing for moving of this load by a such specific train? This car with this extraordinary large weight and size will never run with an regular freight train!
I have asked and mailed sometimes with Doc Wayne before this posting because I was not sure what's to do. Additional fixing or is all ok in this built condition.
He was the opinion that my fixing should be good enough for moving the load by an extra-train at low speed and he referenced me to this highly interesting picture SHORPY. He referenced the relative slight securing of these both steam tractors which are shipped by a flatcar on ferry boat in a heavily iced port. However I explored a many more interesting fact on this picture! Please look the tank car! No, not a tank car, this is a tank fixed onto a flatcar!
The tank is fixed by steel bands, maybe steel rods onto the saddles and onto the the floor. However please look also, how the tank is fixed and secured at ends. Heavy wood beams are bolted onto the floor and they are connected additionally and continuously together by long trussrods. That is the idea which I needed!
It's good to mail, to discuss problems and searching for solutions together with friends. Thanks!

[Image: pressuretank_67k.jpg]

This was my first idea how I should fix additional end blocks onto the floor - before I found this solution with the end-blocking of tank on a flatcar. All bolts of my first sample must be replaced by bolts with nuts and washers. Additionally I planned an additional fixing with a L-shaped metal profile and at last a provided a short truss rod as connections to the outer saddles.
Now I think I should use this end blocking however with changing the truss rods as end-to-end connection onto upper wood beams. I think, that this should give a really good securing of this heavy tank against slipping?
How do you think? Can I ignore all this additional end blocking? Or how should I change my idea for a more simple solution? I would be lucky to read your answers and thoughts.
Thank you very much!

[Image: extra-train-05k.jpg]

At end a preview on my extra train yet. The cars and the load is ready, nearly. However the engine needs small additions on backhead of boiler yet and a re-lettering. Look the number of this engine - 2156! This is the number of an Y-6b! And then I'm missing yet the caboose which will fit this train of 1922. A class CF caboose of N&W from AMB will be the right one. Or a brass model?

A short addition. You can find a gallery with all pictures of this project on a gallery of my website, picture descriptions in English.
Cheers, Bernd

Bernhard, the time will come when the prototype people ask you how to do the details Applause
Reinhard
Cheers Cheers Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Marvellous!!! Worship Worship
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Bernhard!

Unbelievable what you have created out of such ordonary things like X-mas ball halves and mail tubes.
Cheers! Thumbsup Worship

Lutz
Thanks to all for your friendly comments.
In moment I try to find yet a few additional information about the end blocking and I hope also to receive answers on my question about this.
I think that I can finish the model on next weekend or short later including an fixing in longitudinal direction.

@Lutz, no, this were not a mail tube for the tank, worse! I used a wastewater pipe, however it was a new one.
Cheers, Bernd

modelsof1900 Wrote:Thanks to all for your friendly comments.
In moment I try to find yet a few additional information about the end blocking and I hope also to receive answers on my question about this.
I think that I can finish the model on next weekend or short later including an fixing in longitudinal direction.

@Lutz, no, this were not a mail tube for the tank, worse! I used a wastewater pipe, however it was a new one.

Impressive! ...as always! And the proof the most mundane objects can be part of a highly professional model!

It's just a shame to see such great workmanship on a vulgar piece of sectional track! 357

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
[Image: pressuretank_70k.jpg]

After new and helpful discussions with Doc Wayne I have me decided to a simple solution for end-blocking the fat tank. Thank to you, Doc, also for links and pictures to this theme. (For more information please see my website at end of description - link here.)
A simple wood beam at each end which are bolted on the floor and some nailed wedges - all. The reflections about a more complex fixing with truss rods may be a good solution for a permanent fixing. This what I needed here was a simple, fast to realize end blocking which will be need one time only for a single transport. I think that this will be reasonably for this specific use for shipping this load by an extra train to the orderer.

I have shown the tank and car to my US railroad friends yesterday while our two-monthly US-rail fan meeting and they all were delighted with this model. And some times there was a question about the number of rivets? All pressed by hand?
And what do you think about the number of rivets?

An short addition yet:
@Matt, unfortunately, I own only this 10ft test track in my home. However I think that there will be enough chances for running this model, especially with my planned extra train - where engine like caboose need some work until a right correct looking extra-train.
Cheers, Bernd

Great idea for a not so common load. It looks fantastic!! Great Work and thenks for sharing it with us. Big Grin Big Grin Worship Worship
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???