Weekly Photo Fun 5/22 - 5/28/15
Steamtrains Wrote:The weathering on that GP-15 is fantastic..!!
I've got a couple UP units that could use a little grunging up...
Could you post a quick "How to" to get them to look like that..??
I'm sure more than a few of us here would like to give it a try... Thumbsup

That was done several years ago, and I don't remember the exact "step by step". It was mostly "dry brush".
Mix a color to represent the "grunge", thin it down a bit, pick up the paint with just the tip of the brush, and dab most of it off before using the brush to streak the surface. Another brush with a bit of thinner only ( again remove the excess before using ) was then streaked over the still wet first application. The whole idea of dry-brushing, is to apply minute amounts of paint with each stroke. The followup with a thinner "lightly" dampened brush, makes it look more like "rain-streaked dirt"
I spent a lot of time playing with the process before I got the results I wanted, and only then did I apply it to the model.
It was very helpful to have that loco close enough to home to be able to take the model to it, to compare.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks a lot..!! I'll give it a try on some rolling stock that need it.
Once I get the hang of it, I'll tackle the engines...
Gus (LC&P).