Marklin Trucks
Marklin L&N DIXIE LINE AMERICAN GONDOLA WAGON 39099
The above vehicle is a 3 rail version and my line is 2 rail. Therefore I assume it needs to have the wheels or trucks changed but I don't know what size wheel or type of truck. As I also need to change the couplings for Kadee's as well, it would seem to me that changing the trucks makes more sense. Help please, thank you.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
I'm sure others can provide more detailed information but if it is 3 rail you will need to install a dc motor. You will probably have to change out the wheels also because the insulation is probably different for 3 rail. Good luck.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
The standard for freight car wheels is 33". (9.625mm) But there are others.
I can't advise about Marklin trucks as I don't have any. You may be able to get the axles out. If the trucks are cast metal then metal wheels may be a problem (if you don't break the truck in the process).
I would probably go for a nice plastic replacement, if there is a suitable match.
The ideal coupling solution is to mount them under the floor, especially if all your other couplings are body mounts. I think Kadee makes (they used to) trucks with couplings mounted.

(Tom: I think it's just a gondola, not a loco.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Yes,it's a gondola. I didn't know about Kadee fitted trucks. The couplings are fitted to the trucks. It's an avenue Il look into. Thanks for that.
It's a good day when you wake up in the morning. It's not your problem if you don't.
:oops:

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Wouldn't worry about it Tom. We're all entitled to a senior moment.
I was in the LHS today. Kadee make trucks with coupler mounts, but I didn't see any Bettendorf, just arch bar and something else. (my senior moment!)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I haven't actually got the gondola yet. I'm basing what I know on photo's of it. Had a look round for trucks with couplers on this side with no luck so will probably have to get M/O from the States. Ouch. Postal charges are a killer.
I've now got a set of Kadee 502 trucks with couplings. Whilst fitting the trucks to the wagons isn't a problem, fitting the couplings to the trucks is proving a real pain. Assembling the coupler is easy enough,but when fixing it to the truck it appears that the screws supplied aren't long enough. Am I doing something wrong or is there a trick I don't know of. Thank you.