Speeder Shed Ideas
My little layout is set in the mid 50's . Ther is an area that I think would be ideal for speeder and shed . I'll have to kit bash a partial shed I have , and scratch a speeder , but I'm wondering about other details outside of the shed . Google images hasn't been any help with real life pics ( I googled " speeder shed ) .

Any ideas / pics ??

Thanks , T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Are there any speeder sheds left?
The best I can remember from Perth (1950s) is that the shed has an office area (man door and window) and 1 or more speeder doors.
I just found a drawing of "No. 2 standard tool shed" -- no Rly, but it's an Alberta collection. Shed is 14'x10', 10'3" to peak of roof. Door is 6'x6'6", hinged both sides. Window in end (no info about other end).
From the 1979 NMRA convention Planbook.

I remember that there were wood rails from the shed to the track -- I think they were bigger than 2x2s, and probably twice the length of a speeder. There was a platform between the main track rails and the speeder would be run out and picked up at one end and turned in the direction required. The wood platform acquired circular dents where the wheel flanges went. Probably had a set of 4.
Outside the shed? Don't remember (I was pre-teen) but I think there were piles of used track bits, mostly spikes and tie plates. It was a small town so things could be left, but new spikes would be in kegs inside. The shed was opposite the station, so it was kept neat. There were loop tracks or sidings beyond the platforms, but I can't remember if the shed was on the siding track or where there were just the main lines.

In Brampton (1980 or so), CN had a shed on the remains of the siding that looped behind the station. At least, I think there must have been one, but the middle was a parking lot and there was a stub siding at each end; the other one served a lumber yard.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I may have a couple of photos of a CN speeder shed preserved in Hillsborough, NB that may be of use. I'll have a look tomorrow.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Thanks guys , you're the best ...any old pics will help .
Not prototype examples, but based on my recollections. I can measure them if you see any of interest, but I don't recall building them to any particular measurements: simply what looked best to my eye.

This is a Grand Valley shed, but it's only acting as a placeholder until its site here is sceniced: the ground needs to be built-up to track level, and the speeder rails and other details added. It's a slightly enlarged version of their "standard" speeder shed:

[Image: Layoutviewsetc027.jpg]

This is the Grand Valley's shed at South Cayuga, a double-door version of their standard shed:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd166.jpg]

This one is also at South Cayuga (Cayuga Junction to be precise), and belongs to the Erie Northshore, whose tracks leave those of the Grand Valley at this point, to head west:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd172.jpg]

Another of the Northshore's sheds, this one a double, at Elfrida:

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd265.jpg]

This is the Erie Northshore's shed at Lowbanks. The wooden rails are shorter than prototypical, as the space here is limited:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd165.jpg]

I have two more Grand Valley sheds already built for use on the upper level, one of which is a double and one with a small living area attached.

Wayne
T%his may be a little help, but is PRR <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://prr.railfan.net/standards/standards.cgi?plan=57984--&type=STRU">http://prr.railfan.net/standards/standa ... &type=STRU</a><!-- m --> and this shed was still around at Wampum in 1979.    
Charlie
The little speeder sheds are great details I never noticed on your layout.
Reinhard
Thanks for the pics ....my fav is the one with the wheelbarrow .......mine is coming along pretty well but haven't built the speeder . Pics soon .
This is mine so far .......lots of detailing to come .

[Image: DSCN0237_zpskgssznmx.jpg]

A little out of focus but then so am I sometimes Icon_lol

[Image: DSCN0238_zpsdtco1xxb.jpg]
teejay Wrote:My little layout is set in the mid 50's . Ther is an area that I think would be ideal for speeder and shed . I'll have to kit bash a partial shed I have , and scratch a speeder , but I'm wondering about other details outside of the shed . Google images hasn't been any help with real life pics ( I googled " speeder shed ) .

Any ideas / pics ??

Thanks , T

There was usually stacks of new ties and wooden barrels of spikes and tie plates and a small coal bin. The one I visited on the C&O in 56 or 57 had one or two 55 gallon drum of gasoline for the speeder and IRRC there was two speeder trailers next to the building. The 'office' area had a small desk,a long wooden picnic type table,stove and lockers. The shed area contain the speeder and various track tools.

I almost forgot the line phone on a pole.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Thanks for the input Larry , my barrels are almost ready to go .....need to dribble some dullcoat on them , will be adding a small smoke stack ( figured they had a stove inside ) , a few ties etc. I just found some Nscale wheels for my speeder . It's fun !
Looking good T.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I looked through my pictures teejay and don't seem to be able to find any of the Hillsbourgh shed. Sorry.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
I just remembered another detail. The shed was right by the two siding switches (and the water tower). Beside each switch stand was a box (one of those silver things on a stand) and it had a very miniature semaphore repeater in it and a button. Pushing the button caused the semaphore to repeat the indication of the nearest signal -- I think it was for the section gang but might have been used by train crews as well.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.