Chessie System-Athens Subdivision....
Next up is a closeup of the first bit of scenery I put down to test out how it would look and to try out the clump foliage that I have. Also I wanted to lay down a little ballast and sprinkle grass over the tracks to see if I felt that I was getting the right effect.

Attached Files Image(s)

CandO7430 (The poster formerly known as IandOFan71)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
Ohio Div, Chessie System Railroads
Here is a closer view of the scenery on the tracks that service Sullivan Wood Products. I still have a ways to go but it is amazing to me how a little brown paint, grass and some ballast can bring things to life.

Attached Files Image(s)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
Here is a closeup view of Sullivan Wood Products from the parking area. This was my first attempt at making a sidewalk and I think it turned out ok. I still have to paint it grey but you get the idea. I'm working on some signage to really give this place an identity.

Attached Files Image(s)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
Finally for now is something I've been waiting to put in place for a while. I bought some WS "painters" with this particular scene in mind and I purposely left part of the building unpainted to accomodate the painters. One thing I didn't notice and will fix is that the painters and brushes are covered in green paint. A minor detail but it will bug me until I fix it.
Also of note is that I have cut the overpass down to size and placed it in it's permanent location but I'm not ready for pics of that yet but I will post them as soon as I get to that point. Hope you all enjoy the updates. Until next time take care and have fun.

Attached Files Image(s)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
CandO7430 Wrote:Here is a closer view of the scenery on the tracks that service Sullivan Wood Products. I still have a ways to go but it is amazing to me how a little brown paint, grass and some ballast can bring things to life.

You're right, Tyler: you get plenty of "bang for your buck" when it comes to painting rail and ballasting. Wink Goldth I also like the looks of your sidewalk, Thumbsup Thumbsup and the roads help to tie it all together. Nice work. Thumbsup Goldth

Wayne
Thanks for the kind words Wayne. Coming from someone as good as yourself it means a lot.

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
I really like that Lumber Scene, its looking great Thumbsup Thumbsup

The sidewalk looks neat, and the painters painting the side of the structure look cool too, nice little detail to help bring the scene together and make it seem all that much more realistic Thumbsup Thumbsup

Keep up the great work Tyler Thumbsup Cheers
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I love these painters Thumbsup Thumbsup . They really make this scene come alive. Well done!
Kurt
Great job! Thumbsup I like the way you are pulling it all together.

Quote:a closeup of the first bit of scenery I put down to test out how it would look and to try out the clump foliage that I have.

I know you're still working on the groundcover. Some weeds and taller grass here and there, would look cool and add interest Thumbsup

Keep up the excellent work! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Steve
I don't think I would bother painting lines on the roads. My observation, at least here in the Los Angeles area is that a road with that many rail crossings is usually made for access to the industries served by the railroad, and generally does not see much traffic except for people doing business with those industries. Most of the time the city does not even bother painting lines on those roads.
Thanks guys, I'm really glad that you all like the painters. You make a good point Russ about the lines. The road into the industry is just an access road, but the road that connects to it is a state highway so I'll need some lines there. I have Sunday off so I should be able to get some more done.

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
Wow! Can't believe it's been a year since I last posted anything. I really have to get on the ball. Honestly, despite my best intentions, life just gets in the way. I do look over this forum nearly everyday and am really impressed with the work you all have done. I'll catch up someday I promise.
Anyhow, I did get up this morning with trains on my mind and headed for the basement. I decided to make some big changes to part of the layout to get ready for the next big expansion. What you will see is what used to be the Armitage/Lancaster yard. I wanted to add more coal mines to my layout so I am modeling more of the vital Monday Creek Sub to New Straitsville. First up is the empty yard ready for removal. In the foreground are the tools of destruction.

Attached Files Image(s)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
Looking the other way is the drawbridge to Logan Yard. This will soon be gone in favor of a straight and more sound drawbridge.

Attached Files Image(s)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
And now the serious removal begins. If you have a weak heart you may want to turn away for these next few pictures. The Pomeroy Sub from Logan Yard to the bridge is no more. I will reconnect the two segments of track but I needed the turnout.

Attached Files Image(s)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,
Trackage on the drawbridge gone forever.

Attached Files Image(s)

T. Blackstone,
Division Superintendent,