Dirty water weathering
I use a lot of acylic paints in my modeling.Since they are water based I clean my brushes with water.I discovered a long time ago that the dirty water from this brush cleaning made for a great weathering wash.I keep several different bottles with different colours in them ranging from white to brown to dark grays. This CV boxcar and the two flats in the lower picture are weathered this way.The decks of the flat cars also have some paint weathering applied too.

[Image: Z-GVR-7145_c.jpg]

[Image: TwoFlats_1.jpg]

These are Z scale by the way.The neat thing about this kind of weathering is if you don't like it,it can be washed off if done fairly soon after it is dry.

This is also the method I use to weather my N and HO rolling stock. It' cheap Thumbsup
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I've never tried the dirty water method although I've heard of it over the years . I gravitated toward alcohol and India ink many years ago and stuck with that . Since I use mainly acrylic paints I'll have to keep that tip in mind and give it a try .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Way back when I was in school, the press suggested using dirty thinner for weathering. Problem was, I'd cleaned some silver paint in the thinner and I had streaks with shiny spots in them.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Well that's just brilliant! I'm saving my paint water from now on!