Poll: How do you feel about all the high tech stuff available today?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1- Love it.
28.95%
11 28.95%
2- I go into my train room to get away from today's world.
31.58%
12 31.58%
3- Don't really care one way or the other.
39.47%
15 39.47%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tech, good, bad, indifferent?
I love the flexibility that DCC has given me in running my trains and I love the sound and lighting functions also. When I want to play trains I want to drive them, so I really have no interest in setting up my layout to be run by my computer and using my phone as a throttle or other such tech stuff holds zero interest to me.
For years I operated my layouts on DC and I was never very happy with it. In 2000 we sold our house and lived in a house with no room for a layout until 2009. Then we bought a layout room with a house attached and layout construction began. I knew that a decent control system would make operation so much better. I spent several years investigating various DCC systems and came up with no decision on what system I would purchase. So many people were having so many problems with DCC, it just seemed that DCC was a hobby within a hobby, all I wanted was to build and operate a layout and have fun without all these hassles.

In the fall of 2013 I took the plunge and purchased a RailPro system and I am thrilled with it. It is so simple to install operate and puts a huge amount of fun in to model railroading. I have never had any problem of any kind with this system. This is about as Tech an I get. All my track and turnouts are hand laid, I do not use Fast Tracks jigs because of the cost. I align my turrnouts manually as I go with the train much the same as the prototype. I do use Fast Tracks "Bullfrogs" with the turnouts. No fancy wiring or control panels, as simple as I can make it.

Mel
Having more fun with RailPro
railohio Wrote:The more, the better. Luddites can always buy secondhand equipment when the early adopters get the latest and greatest.

"Luddites"? Did you feel it was necessary to insult those of us who do not share your particular personal views? Icon_lol

May I now refer to you as a "techno-wienie"?
I voted "don't care." I run DC although I do have one sound-equipped DCC engine. The grandkids really love it.

My philosophy is to each his own. I realize the benefits of DCC. I'm just not interested.

I'm definitely not a Luddite. Spent many years and made a comfortable living in tech. Just not interested in DCC or sound.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
I'll echo Fiatfan.
I've got enough locos that can't be converted easily. I did help a friend with his DCC layout, doing a bunch of the technical/mathematical stuff (trying to figure out instruction sheets where the numbers might be in decimal, octal, binary, maybe hexadecimal.
I try to skip every second tech advance, so I'll go for whatever replaces DCC.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I voted "Don't Care"...am unimpressed by the 'tech' and it's application, in MOST cases. Sound systems are marginal in their representation of reality. While DCC can do some neat stuff, it requires just as much or more complication than DC for the same result - at much more expense...OK for some, but not in my budget.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
If a Luddite can use the advantages of DCC, then that's me. Wink
Technology for technologies sake though is not my cup of tea, I'll gladly leave for it those that gets their kicks from it.
Just my two bobs worth.
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
I also voted "don't care". Then again, I am a believer in the "KISS" principle - - - - - - - Keep It Simple Stupid. The one exception to that is the level of detail-detail-detail, I strive to reach with each new model.
My hobby is model building, not computers. As long as I still have the DC option with the modular group, I can avoid the expense, and the mind boggling list of things that have to be remembered, and the time it takes to install decoders in locos that were not designed for such things, that comes with DCC.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I use high tech if it is convenient to get the task done. The use of computers is limited as far as possible after 40 years in the computer industry. Some sound decoders are more convenient programmable with a computer but that's it. I do not intent to use computers to control any aspect of the layout that includes the popular interfaces between computers and the DCC controllers. DCC is used for convenience to limit wiring and sometimes to cover poor hardware. I like the UT4 handheld throttle as I saw DC walk arounds used in the US many decades ago but hard to get in Germany.

ps. DCC documentation drives me crazy because I am used to the hexadecimal notation for decades. Each byte runs from 0x00 to 0xFF. The decimal notation (0 - 255) is absolute strange to me and makes it complicated to identify individual bits.
Reinhard
I voted don't really care.My N scale layout will be both DC and DCC depending on which loco I feel like running.The "to be built" HO switching layout will also be DC/DCC since I simply want it that way.The Z layout(s) will remain DC since they are mostly for watching trains run .

I'm not into a lot of hi tech stuff,sound gets irritating after awhile and my turnouts are all hand thrown,-plus when I am home I am a lone wolf and have no need to run a bunch of trains all at once.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I think Tech is great to a point. I think they carry things too far by changing things just to make them different. Isn't tech supposed to make things easy? I realize programmers need work, but why not work towards simplifying things instead of changing things. Windows is a classic case. XP was a very stable system and very well liked but instead af adding features to it as an option they had to completely change it when later systems came out. I can understand the need to keep with the new people, but leave things there that we have become comfortable with. They play silly games and no one write the instruction manual.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:I think Tech is great to a point. I think they carry things too far by changing things just to make them different. Isn't tech supposed to make things easy? I realize programmers need work, but why not work towards simplifying things instead of changing things. Windows is a classic case. XP was a very stable system and very well liked but instead af adding features to it as an option they had to completely change it when later systems came out. I can understand the need to keep with the new people, but leave things there that we have become comfortable with. They play silly games and no one write the instruction manual.
Charlie
You can't charge as much to someone that just wants to add a few features (update), than to completely redo the whole system and sell them the new system (upgrade) with more features than they wanted, or can understand. It's true in just about every industry, fashion, automobiles, home decor, you name it. "That's so 90's" is used in order to get us to buy today's style, or the latest technology. Change for the sake of change traps us all, especially when they refuse to support the old versions in order to get us to spend more.

Relating to model railroading, I like to build, I'd run trains using a pull string if that be the old way. It's not, but fortunately for us, we don't have to buy into the latest technology to enjoy the hobby.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
"...we don't have to buy into the latest technology to enjoy the hobby." Oh, but, in many ways, we DO. Most of the locomotives we buy now have decoders - DCC or DC/Dual-mode - those aren't FREE, just 'cause you use DC-only. If they have sound (that you don't use), probably $100.00 ADDED to the cost of one unit - and almost ALL locos are "powered" (so, "chipped") - few or no "dummies" these days. I'm sure DCC compatibility contributed to the demise of some dandy ("Old School") lines of models (Bowser steamers, f'rinstance ?), 'cause theTech/DCC remediation wasn't cost-effective. Tech makes our modeling budget shrink when it removes the non-tech products from the catalogs & shelves...and we pay, whether we use it or not. I'm glad it's there for those who want/need/use it...but I get a little fussed 'cause it limits (financially) my personal "enjoyment". Wallbang Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
"Most of the locomotives we buy now have decoders ".

Not true. I don't own a single loco that has a decoder of any kind sound or otherwise. Don't own any that are DCC compatible. The only circuit board in any of them is for the lights to reverse. They are still available chip free in N scale anyway. Not sure about the other scales.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I fought DCC off for a while. I purchased a locomotive that was DC & DCC both, this was around 2000. It was programed to have momentum even in DC. Any interruption in power caused it to start again at 0. It would then start again. I have several cross overs on my double track main. I also have ladder tracks in 3 yards (2 hidden) and several places with multiple switches. It was a pain. My new loco was useless. I contacted the manufacturer and was told it was easy to fix, just program it out. How do I do that with DC? So I got into DCC .I feel it makes modeling easier. I did get hooked on sound but later felt it was a nice thing to have but nicer to F8 it( turn it off). So I have both and use both and like both although I use DCC more than DC. As far as cost goes I can make a loco DCC for about $20 So that is what I do 1@ a time, I still have about 10 left to add decoder. Sometimes I get sound, sometimes not.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/