Freelance 2016-2
As always your modelling is awe-inspiring Reinhard. Yes the iPhone does an excellent job taking photos, I ran across some photos taken last year by another member of this forum who also used the iPhone and was so impressed that I don't bother using a camera any more. It's so easy to get the iphone into confined space!!
I started my first card board structure.
The easy available large walls and roofs of rusty corrugated steel are tempting overuse. I will use it as test vehicle to increase my card board skills (currently at minus 10).

[Image: 31094175405_3e218a936c_c.jpg]IMG_5178 by faraway52, on Flickr

At least a different roof is a must. Tar paper is a nice contrast to rust. I did not know how glassy dull paper becomes after a run through the laser printer.

[Image: 30952777082_c8f0f07e77_c.jpg]IMG_5180 by faraway52, on Flickr

Brown felt pen at the edges and a layer of dull coat. The roof is still somewhat shiny... :-(

[Image: 30292612113_cc2802aaa3_c.jpg]IMG_5182 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Next day, next approach.
The structure gets a hard kernel and the card board will be applied like a wallpaper and it will be more plain without the excessive rust. The shape changed to be less dominating.
The printed sheets of card board drain the toner from the laser printer like hell.

[Image: 30304336293_45ebc48831_c.jpg]IMG_5183 by faraway52, on Flickr
[Image: 30304336503_23c19f1382_c.jpg]IMG_5184 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Changing the shape of the building really looks good.

Cheers
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
I'm really interested in your cardboard structure. I am about to start benchwork and have a couple of industries planned that there is nothing commercial available to model them. What thickness of cardboard are you using? Do you plan on bracing it to keep it from warping or is it thick enough where it won't warp?
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
The main building is done with corrugated steel without rust but some aging and the side building is covered with cinder blocks. The roof is still undecided. It might be the same kind of tar paper I used yesterday.

@PEIR, The downloaded images are printed in 200g paper (80g is standard copy machine paper, I assume you use another system to measure paper on the other side of the big pond). I stabilized the structure with a lot of wood sticks and thick card board yesterday but the overall structure was constantly out of alignment. I discovered in the internet that a lot of card board structures are build around a hard kernel. I used 3mm pressboard for the kernel. It can be cut with a knife like styrene of a similarl thickness. Card board (skin) and pressboard (bones) are easy to glue together with universal glue and sticks. No white glue etc. on the skin. It would warp from the moisture but the kernel of press board is glued with white glue.

[Image: 31114055665_a7b9f9686f_c.jpg]IMG_5186 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Remember to put a step under that personnel door or OSHA will hammer you flat! Icon_lol
The roof is in place. It got lighten up with Photoshop. That's all for today. This structure will survive and I will continue tomorrow.

[Image: 30312693303_1745727cb4_c.jpg]IMG_5187 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
OSHA = occupation safety health administration

Thanks for the construction tips. I may give it an attempt when the time comes.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
The essentials are done and the building is put in use. The large roof planes with the exciting texture was too much. I switched back to my "standard roof gray" and the new building blends fine into the layout. Some more weathering and may be some details will follow this week.

A first conclusion:
I am not the right guy to build all the small details from many layers of paper. Styrene parts will be mixed with paper. But wallpapered card board opens another dimension of pretty large walls and structures. A hard kernel may be used for some styrene models too. I had a really good time with the new material.

[Image: 30313153164_d77c1d8ec9_c.jpg]IMG_5191 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
Looks good. I'm not much of a fan of card stock buildings but this one may have changed my opinion.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Some more details, some more weathering. I think that's it.

[Image: 31140541105_db2c6f552b_c.jpg]IMG_5192 by faraway52, on Flickr
Reinhard
The assembly of structures enforced the almost exclusive use of boxcars. I am in need of "any other" industries to get a more prototypical mix of freight cars on the layout.
An old brick building and a matching backdrop have been replaced by a hopper unloading line, some (plastic pellet) storage tanks and a more modern backdrop as a starting point. The old dry-flo hoppers are very versatile and support a wide range of industrial uses.

ps. The industry from yesterday receives flatcars. They are somehow in the heavy machinery business now.

[Image: 30355862353_6e4b4c7820_c.jpg]IMG_5193 by faraway52, on Flickr

At the next morning:
The need for greater variety of railcars is unchanged but this spot look lousy now. I need to find either a way to greatly improve it or find something else. Model railroading is sometimes complicated 357
Reinhard
A trip to the basement revealed an universal corrugated steel structure suitable for almost any kind of industry. In conjunction with an old unloading appliance and a pair of silos is hopper unloading a perfect fit.

[Image: 31064039801_e7f49f44df_c.jpg]IMG_5194 by faraway52, on Flickr
[Image: 31064039871_2d43ff1a3e_c.jpg]IMG_5195 by faraway52, on Flickr

The unloading appliance is quite old and a new one is on the to do list. The structure was made for a Florida theme and might be colored down from bright white.
Reinhard
Reinhard
Pictures of your new industries reminds me of the LAJ ballast. We didn't walk down the east end of LAJ's Upper Alley Switch Lead (S&W Fine Foods is on west end). The first image shows no ballast at all on a spur track! In second image it looks more like ballast on the lead is an afterthought since there's so little of it. Also there's no roadbed on either.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler