Quick done: Upgrading Walthers Trailers
Hello Folks!

When i became aquainted with the themes of Intermodal and TOFC, some examples were purchased. One oth this were a pair of Walthers 32 foot trailers of an venerable age.

[Image: dsc00403a3o79.jpg]
One of the devices i was missing, were the endsills and the bumper bars. Here i made them out of styrene "C" profile and 2 short pieces of an smaller "C" profile became the fixature for the bars. The bar itself was made of an piece of squared profile. Two little red "dots" represent the tail lights.
The loose axle bearing were eliminated by glueing the wheels into place. These trailers are for static display only, so the wheels need'nt to roll.
2 Pieces of black styrene sheet became the splash guards.

[Image: dsc00407dlrhr.jpg]
Looks some better, but the black rims were not a real gem. Tires and rims were cast as one piece, so it is all black.

[Image: dsc004771lumb.jpg]
A felt-tipn pen with silver ink eliminated this. It took about 15 seconds to paint one rim, that was 1 minute for the trailer.

[Image: dsc00478vuu3b.jpg]
My opinion is it looks much better now.
It is a rather quick work. The profiles can be cut to the desired lenght in series and are glued quick onto. So why not get serial with trailer upgrading?

Cheers Lutz
I liked the silver felt tip pen work, it makes the wheel rims look like a dirty chrome which is what you would see on trailers like that. No love or TLC, just a quick clean occasionally if lucky and back out on the road or on the rails. Earning the $$$$$ for Santa Fe.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More