Canadian Pacific FP-7 question
I'm just finishing up some details on a Canadian Pacific FP-7 A and B set and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the B units were equipped with the icicle breakers or were only the A's? I can't seem to find any prototype photos of B units with them.
Also would anyone have a decent photo of the roof of an A unit for placement of the Icicle Breakers?
logic tells me that ice cycle breakers would only be needed on the lead A-unit. They might have had the breakers on all A-units so that any A could be used in the lead. I can't see any reason to have them on a B-unit since a non-cab unit would probably never be in the lead.
I just dug out BRMNA's photo book on The Canadian.
First picture shows icicle breakers in 2 sections. A set at the side of the roof, positioned above the second set of vents in the side (aft of the first porthole). There is another set, covering the middle part of the roof and looks located behind the winterization hatch. This is on 1421 and 1409 on the first day.
A B-unit has no such fixtures.
A picture in 1980 sows 1413 and 1409 without breakers. in 1970 1400 has breakers. 1978 1403/4 have breakers.
A note near the back of the book says that the breakers were removed in the VIA era because they were too tall for CN's Montreal and Winnipeg stations. CP had equipped boxcars with breakers to protect triple-deck autoracks.
1433/4 never had them as they worked Edmonton-Calgary.

So, if you have the original CP paint, you need breakers. In CP red they disappear and in VIA blue, none.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks, That's just what I needed. A few weeks ago I managed to track down a set form Miniatures By Eric that I need to place on the A unit.
Since I'm modelling the 50's the units are painted in the original Maroon and grey with block lettering.
[Image: DSCF5425_zpsxdkaj0be.jpg]