DPM Scissor's cutting kitbash
cnrglen Wrote:but I suspect that since it is a small distributor we can have it delivered by rail and then truck.
That's what team tracks are for, if you have one available.
I finished my Gern Wholesaler today:
[Image: DSCF6779_zps7afaowhz.jpg]
I added the roofing , some details and the 'Office' sign to it. If and when I add lighting I'll add some viewblocks to the interior.
[Image: DSCF6780_zpstz4be9f6.jpg]
[Image: DSCF6781_zpsbpfybo4u.jpg]
The tar and gravel roof is Woodland Scenics fine gray ballast, held in place with white glue. The hatch came from DPM's modular roof kit and the other two vents were some 3/32" styrene tubing.
and when you do some kitbashing, there's always extra parts left over
[Image: DSCF6782_zpsuvhwzcmq.jpg]
I'll just stash those away for a future project.
Of course now that I have a Gern Facility, I'll need some transportation:

[Image: DSCF6783_zpsx52fwxnk.jpg]
I have a pair of Magnuson 56' Ford tractor units in my collection. I'm trying to find a short trailer, like Athearn's 24', to add to it. I used to have some, but now I can't seem to find them
How about a roof top lighted billboard advertising GERN to attract customers to the Distributor?
While your at it add some interior lights and then you dont need to go back to this project again?
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Nice! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mark and Tyson.
Mark, I need to keep this structure under a certain height so it doesn't block the buildings behind it. I'm also in no big hurry to add the lighting as this section doesn't even have to wiring going to it. It's not a huge deal to add the lighting later anyhow, with LED strip lighting, it's pretty easy.

I started on the delivery truck for my Gern Industries.
[Image: DSCF6788_zpski2wdmqf.jpg]
I found an older Athearn trailer and removed the front axle so it would look a bit more like a lighter delivery trailer. The two 56' ford tractors and the 53' tanker truck are Magnuson models, polyester resin castings. Everything is sprayed in a light grey primer, waiting for paint.
I painted the Magnuson trucks today:
[Image: IMG_0223_zps1s2izlqy.jpg]
The two tractor units are going to be red and green. I airbrushed the cabs in Model master Acrylics and I'll detail paint them later. I also sprayed the red truck's wheels red, and I'll brush paint the tires. The rest of the tires and rear frames were sprayed flat black.
I also painted the trailer's box in white.
[Image: IMG_0224_zps6p34imfl.jpg]
I also painted the tanker in white. It's going to be a Shell tanker since 1) I have the decals for it and 2) Shell was an established company in western Canada in the 50's.
I'll be masking and painting part of the tank section in Yellow later.
I will be painting the windshields, following the example of an older Model Railroader article.
I take it "The Hulk" will be driving the green truck while he waits for his "Big Break" into TV and movies. Wink
Mark
I finally got back to my project.
[Image: DSCF6816_zpspkukxq6a.jpg]
I detail painted all three cabs and the wheels. used a Testors dark metallic blue on the window glass to simulate sunshine. I read it in an old MR magazine and it seems to do the job on these solid castings. I'm just waiting for the silver to dry, then I can add a drop of white to the headlights and start assembling the two tractor units. I haven't painted the tanker end yet.
I completed the Gern Truck and trailer today:
[Image: DSCF6820_zps8mwwp0k8.jpg]
I assembled the tractor using 5 minute epoxy then I added the Gern Logo to the trail with dry transfers. Both the truck and trailer got a light overspray with Model master Acrylic concrete to tone the white trailer down and weather them slightly. I found the concrete on the tractor tires and black frame made the details pop a bit better.
[Image: DSCF6821_zpssj5pk6qc.jpg]
I did the same with the green tractor
[Image: DSCF6822_zpsawkgkbvx.jpg]
Finally I masked and painted the yellow on the tanker. Even though it's not part of the Gern facility I'll finish it up here. I'll post final photos of the trucks and building on the layout shortly.
Well I finished the Gern Distributor and placed it and the truck on the layout:
[Image: DSCF6823_zpstljfn4ya.jpg]
Now that the final large structure is in in this area I can start to finish up the scenery
[Image: DSCF6826_zpsczmqwpxf.jpg]
And a close-up. The asphalt was already there, and the structure isn't totally planted yet.
[Image: DSCF6828_zpsxn4x1fsl.jpg]
I placed the green truck at my larger terminal.
I hope that the red truck at the Roadway terminal is not the one from "Duel" or there could be some fun and games go on when you leave the layout. 35
Mark
The Duel truck:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/product/GYXHFKZ67/1-87th-ho-scale-duel-peterbilt?optionId=57858173&li=marketplace">https://www.shapeways.com/product/GYXHF ... arketplace</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/product/FWJKR7QG8/1-87th-tandem-truck-frame-215-quot-wheelbase?optionId=57271222">https://www.shapeways.com/product/FWJKR ... d=57271222</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/product/8BWN8HK2W/1-87th-1948-fruehauf-duel-tanker?optionId=57826956&li=marketplace">https://www.shapeways.com/product/8BWN8 ... arketplace</a><!-- m -->
Mark, perhaps a suggestion for the next challenge? Wink

Cheers Lutz
Schraddel Wrote:The Duel truck....

That works out to a pretty expensive piece of scenery. Eek Misngth

Wayne
Well the other option would be to re-paint that creamy yellow tractor unit off to the right in a dirty red colour and get a tanker trailer.
Better get a Ford Galaxy [is that correct?] to establish the scene.
Hell, you can do anything with your 1/87th world [or other scale] that you like, it is Your layout after all.
Little scenes can often be what people remember the most about a layout.
As for cost, well that is for each individual to determine the accuracy vs cost vs laughs.
Mark
I think the car was either a Plymouth Valiant or a dodge dart.
Either way both vehicles were destroyed in the end.

BTW, the red truck is a Sylvan kit, a White Super Power tractor.