"TENDER TUESDAY"
OK here it is, the highly anticipated, overly glorified, incredibly extravagant, start of the Tender Tuesday thread.
Applause Cheers Applause Cheers Applause Cheers Applause Cheers Applause

Here ,every Tuesday, we will discus and showcase the unsung hero's of the steam era,,,, The tender. With out witch there would be no motion in your locomotion. Right from the first days of steam to the very end, the tender was there. Wood, oil, coal, gas, you name it , they held them all. Quietly working behind the scenes (almost a pun there), to make our choo choo's go. Even Conrail had a few of them.

So to start it off here are a few shots of a survivor. This little slope back from the city of brotherly love has been newly refurbished and currently in excursion service in Scranton PA. She is resting in the roundhouse, and as I type this is being readied for this summers outings.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Yeah, it's tuesday, Tender Tuesday!

Let's open a "Sausage Tin Can":

[Image: dsc01218vokcs.jpg]
Mark

[Image: dsc01219jtkyw.jpg]
Make cuts.

[Image: dsc01220k8k1f.jpg]
Make more cuts.

[Image: dsc01221iuktq.jpg]
File square and smoothen edges.

[Image: dsc012232xkkg.jpg]
Resolder parts. These brake hoses are always soldered nearly horizontal onto, so you have to bend it in an 90° angle to become vertical. An exercise which ends 99% with a broken hose. Unsolder and resolder is the best way to do it. You have to do that, because otherwise the horizontal air hose prevents the mounting of an Kadee coupler box.

[Image: dsc0122878jcj.jpg]
Make wipers; spider legs of course Thumbsup

[Image: dsc01238hksol.jpg]
Mounting a 0603 LED in the back up light and screwing all together.

Cheers Lutz
Nice work Lutz, Is that an older project that you reposted pictures of ? If so, is still impressive.

For this week I have a few shots of the High Iron companies A-tank, 759. She was converted from a N&W tender, most likely an older 2-6-6-2 that was surplus. She saw many miles riding behind NKP 759 in excursion service, but interior rust has sidelined her unless a new cistern is construction. This tank also saw service as a water source for a steam crane before it's time with the big Berk. Just another example of the usefulness of the often overlooked tender. She now rests in the yard of Steamtown at Scranton PA.

Next week I'll have to highlight some tender modeling.
Hello all and welcome to this weeks edition of Tender Tuesday.

today I would like to post a quick review of probably the most extensive tender project that I have tackled. CNJ's 21,000 gallon - 24 ton long haul tender.

My first interest in this tender showed up in this thread.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7097">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7097</a><!-- l -->

For a more in-depth look at this build check out my 2-8-2 build, check here.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7657">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7657</a><!-- l -->
Most of the early pics from this thread have disappeared into Big Blue purgatory during a server change, but I am reposting the pics here.

It took the combining of two tenders to pull this one off.

Rear details.

Interior bracing.

Under side details that were a best guess from another Lima tender that I was able to climb under and get a few picks of.

I have a few more to post but they will have to wait till next week.
I'm in for tender Tuesday Thumbsup . Things are beginning to look Brunswick Green. Hope I can fix that blemish on the top photo when I weather the darn thing. The things you see after the paint is applied. :oops:

[Image: IMG_5293_zpsktbpvto1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5294_zpsqigizmkp.jpg]
Ah, Tender Tuesday!
Time to open a Vandy Can:

[Image: dsc087465gp4s.jpg]
Hmm, no Lift-Ring-Pull Sad

[Image: dsc0874886osc.jpg]
Further examination confirms the absence of Lift-Ring-Pull or any other possibilties to get into the inner.

[Image: dsc08749bhrh7.jpg]
There was no opening and then there was one Confusedhock:

[Image: dsc08750gepw6.jpg]
After cutting and a lof of filing producing a lot of brassdust.

[Image: dsc08751jfqpz.jpg]
Back up light was cored.

[Image: dsc08752y9pin.jpg]
Another small acess on the front end for plugs and wires was made.

[Image: dsc0875390r18.jpg]
But how to close the opening?

[Image: dsc08754s7uz6.jpg]
Slide it forward.

[Image: dsc08755j3pji.jpg]
Then backward.

[Image: dsc08756fmpe9.jpg]
Screw it.

[Image: dsc08783zfu9b.jpg]
Nothing to see.

Cheers Lutz
Nice work on that one. I like your plug method. That looks a lot like the tender I modified for my Erie 2-10-2.

I got tied up with chours around the house yesterday and missed my Tender Tuesday post Eek . So it will have to wait till next week :cry: .
It's tuesday again, TENDER TUESDAY:

[Image: dsc04960i2j2m.jpg]
The work of art is to sqeeze all the sound equipment into and under the bodshell of a slopeback tender and get the shell still fitting proper. Wink

Cheers Lutz
More Tender Tuesday....

A shot of the finished product of my CNJ long haul tender.    

One of these tenders survived into Conrail as a fire car. The CNJ and Conrail both numbered it as B-1. RMC did an article on this car just before they closed up shop and were bought up by another publisher.

Here is a link to a picture of it.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=566098&nseq=57">http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 98&nseq=57</a><!-- m -->
Steve, very good work with a great result! A really mighty tender!
And now the loco needs a helper to move this tender if coal and water are filled up? 357 357 357
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Excellent thread. As I've just started to explore 'steam' after many years of diesels , I have a lot to learn about steam locos tenders, and the best way to modify/detail them etc.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and as I have a 6 axle Vanderbilt tender to convert from coal to oil, I'll be looking here for inspiration and of course I'll be sharing my work.
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
A brass Vandy tender that I painted for Toptrain last September. She is riding behind a Erie R-1.

A reworked Vandy that I did for my Erie R-3.

And after weathering.

Afternoon Gentlemen, and welcome to another addition of "Tender Tuesday".

This week I would like to post a pic or two of a tender that doesn't even belong to a steam engine. In this case it a Rutland pile driver car. She was built at the Rutland shops way back in 19?? Crazy ( really don't know when) and now resides in Scranton PA. I felt this is a tender that deserves recognition as it's in a spot that is not easily viewed by the public. I like the rounded tank incorporated into the design. It's general shape lends it to something that could have pulled behind a camelback.

Neat little tender, and you can see why they put the tank into her rather than use the existing cistern. I like those Simplex archbar trucks, too.

Wayne
Something from beyond the Big Pond:

[Image: dsc01139moehj.jpg]
Typical German Toy Train drive: fast, faster, still faster and even still faster. Traditional pan cake motor with traditional clock work drive behavior.

[Image: dsc0114046lku.jpg]
Henceforth with it.

[Image: dsc011412vfgx.jpg]
Cutting off the moulded on truck side frames, in this shape they are only decorative pieces. So they have to be removed from the underbody casting to make them to become real Archbar type trucks.

[Image: dsc01144o4elx.jpg]
Making independent moveable truck sideframes.

[Image: dsc01145jleu8.jpg]
Securing them by soldering brass to brass without melting the plastic parts.

[Image: dsc01149yqc9l.jpg]
Adding pick up wires.

[Image: dsc011504ect4.jpg]
And two Archbar trucks with independent swivelling side frames.

[Image: dsc01154svett.jpg]
So you will get real tender trucks. Looking like trucks and acting like trucks.

OT Supplement:
[Image: dsc0114856ort.jpg]
The drivetrain is now were it belongs to, completely in the loco itself. Mabuchi can motor and a homemade gear enables this.

[Image: dsc04293pup3x.jpg]
A 3-point suspension was made at this opportunity too.

[Image: dsc04292v0uq4.jpg]
Removing the traditional deep flanges and converting the wheels and wheelsets to NMRA Standards.

[Image: dsc04297xos85.jpg]
After. Nothing to see of the new drive train.

Cheers Lutz