O scale 2 rail exhibition layout
#46
Thanks Lutz, I really appreciate this. Smile
Reply
#47
Look what turned up in the mail from my O scale supplier, Mr. Dickie!


[Image: 41528610292_909c89ef33_b.jpg]



Which immediately went into the paint shop, and now looks like this:



[Image: 27843193628_27b8ffe5de_b.jpg]



Interestingly, #100 was the first RS3 built for the L&N by Alco, way back in... November 1951. No idea what became of her in the end, but on Piedmont Blues she still lives! Or she will do, when I've finished weathering her up. Smile
Reply
#48
Here she is after further application of Pan Pastels. Almost unrecognisable from her B&M origins.

[Image: 40832820315_eb6f4f74e7_b.jpg]


[Image: 40832820195_1ab74f41a6_b.jpg]

More work coming as and when I get the chance. Big Grin
Reply
#49
Not much of an update this week, as I've been relaxing and playing xbox, as well as hitting the gym to try and get in better shape for a Tough Mudder event at the end of July.

I've done a little more work on L&N #100, trying to get the model to look more like the prototype photographs I'm working from.

Still a loooooong way to go, so be kind! Smile

[Image: 27988847148_2e132e2114_b.jpg]

[Image: 26989178267_b7b295e4cc_b.jpg]

Please ignore the blu-tac covering the headlamps, I'm trying to keep paint/powders off them.

[Image: 26989178187_a5bb252af7_b.jpg]

[Image: 26989178177_9cf5f1569e_b.jpg]

Smile
Reply
#50
Only a quick update for today. I had an hour this afternoon and managed to fit - and do the initial testing of - an ESU Loksound L V4 in my GP35. I need to build a speaker baffle to better fit the speaker into the fuel tank on the bottom of the loco, which will be a project for another day.

The decoder fitting was surprisingly simple. I do still need to wire in the headlights for the loco though, but again - project for another day! Big Grin

I'm happy - it works:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://youtu.be/5Geg6-s3wBA">https://youtu.be/5Geg6-s3wBA</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#51
Inspired by suggestions from a user on another forum, I've had a go at a second draft of the proposed track plan. Much more interesting, I think. Smile



[Image: 28065268998_22dda550b9_b.jpg]
Reply
#52
Still a ways to go, but it's already less of a stark contrast as it was before. I noticed when assembling it that one of the handrails is broken, so I'm going to scratchbuild a replacement post and use wire to fashion the replacement handrail. Shouldn't take too much work. Smile

[Image: 28438115418_1c33f653e1_b.jpg]

[Image: 42263755352_464843e50e_b.jpg]

[Image: 42263755342_97324decbf_b.jpg]
Reply
#53
For now, L&N #100 is complete. I'm just in the process of ordering some glazing sets from Jason Dickie, and then I'll need to save up for a new loksound decoder to go into it.



As such, I've started on the appearance of the GP35. I'll get photos as soon as I can. In the mean time...



[Image: 28693362288_152a3cc6d7_b.jpg]



[Image: 27697194377_a97f791aa7_b.jpg]



[Image: 41665793995_9e4ed14a90_b.jpg]



[Image: 41665793975_437f92d164_b.jpg]



[Image: 41665793745_d2dc16a2ba_b.jpg]
Reply
#54
With the RS3 pretty much complete, I've made a start on GP35 #2709 - it just HAD to be a S&A unit. Smile

So far, I've added decals and then given it a light dusting of a light brown (almost green) Pan Pastel to tone down the black.

Got to build this up in layers, as the matt varnish sealer takes a lot of the pastel effect away. Still, it's a start.

I'm planning on taking photos after each stage of the weathering job so people can see how I do it. Smile

When the Southern RS3 gets it's turn, I plan on doing a video of the whole process too. Smile

[Image: 28731102458_1df6c02984_b.jpg]

[Image: 40797410000_22376cb207_b.jpg]

[Image: 41885213954_125306d4a4_b.jpg]

[Image: 42603838211_e4e628478f_b.jpg]

[Image: 28731106888_7de67f839f_b.jpg]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)