Help picking a camera?
I'd like to purchase a camera, on account of I'm clumsy and have managed to break every one I've owned thus far. I would like another fairly cheap one, because, well I'm pretty sure I know what will end up happening to it. I'd say I'll use it 1/3 of the time for train related photos and videos both real and the model railroad. Then anther 1/3 for photos/videos of my four wheeling trips, and lastly before after pictures of jobs I do. I haven't looked at cameras in a long time and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.
Kevin, you will get a lot of answers for this one. My answer is this, for your use a point and shoot with a manual twist barrel zoom lens, and at least 10 MP.
I use and like the Fuji cameras, currently I am using for my main camera a HS25EXR which has a 30X twist barrel zoom and settings both automatic and manual. It starts fast, and the auto focus is very good, and is 16MP. I have used manual settings, but I am not as good as the auto. It has a macro as well as super macro mode and shoots video in the .mov format high definition. A lot of my friends use Canon DSLR cameras, but they cost 10 times the amount I paid (less than 300 new 3 years ago) and you have to buy a zoom lens separate. I do not use the digital zoom feature on any camera. I personally have had bad luck with Canon products but that is just my opinion.
I have had a picture taken with this camera used for a calendar photo by a railroad so it does the job it needs to do. Purists will find fault, but it is pretty rugged, tested accidentally by falling out of my camera bag and hitting the ground, with me landing on it and breaking ribs. I use rechargeable AA batteries and they last a long time with each charge and you can use alkaline if these lose the charge and you need spares. There is an internal setting to switch from rechargeables.
This model was replaced with the HS50EXR that has a 42X zoom, and I don't know the current replacement. This is not a pocket camera.

Charlie
Not particularly cheap, but the best pocket camera out there that I have found is a Canon Ixus 170