Winter's Delights
Had a lot of snow yesterday. Went to town after it stopped, and on the way home stopped on the back road to allow 25 or so elk to cross the road. One buck and his extended harem.

Down the road half-a-mile and were treated to the bizarre sight of at fifty turkeys perched in the tops of three trees for the night - bizarre because the trees are leafless and bare except for the large black blobs of the turkeys.

One of many reasons we love this part of the country. Thumbsup
Wow!!! That sounds so great!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
They reintroduced Elk here but most hang out in the Park. We have massive herds of deer here and VERY large flocks of turkey here as well. They also have brought back red wolves . People that live in the urban areas don't know what they are missing.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:They reintroduced Elk here but most hang out in the Park. We have massive herds of deer here and VERY large flocks of turkey here as well. They also have brought back red wolves . People that live in the urban areas don't know what they are missing.

No, they most certainly do not.

No wolves here, but loads of deer, bobcats, coyotes and the ubiquitous Colorado black bear. And we have a young golden eagle who now sits majestically on the rock atop the peak behind our home and watches for meal service.
Speaking of wild life we have thousands of deer and more get killed by car then by gun or bow hunter. Eastern and Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky is seeing the return of black bear these are believe to have migrated from W.VA. There's been several unconfirmed reports of a black bear here in Crawford Country.

We have Bobcats, fox and coyotes.

We have deer, skunk, possum,groundhog and raccoon here in Bucyrus.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Tyson Rayles Wrote:They reintroduced Elk here but most hang out in the Park. We have massive herds of deer here and VERY large flocks of turkey here as well. They also have brought back red wolves . People that live in the urban areas don't know what they are missing.

I forgot to mention that most of the land around us is BLM, so basically one big park.
Brakie Wrote:Speaking of wild life we have thousands of deer and more get killed by car then by gun or bow hunter. Eastern and Southern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky is seeing the return of black bear these are believe to have migrated from W.VA. There's been several unconfirmed reports of a black bear here in Crawford Country.

We have Bobcats, fox and coyotes.

We have deer, skunk, possum,groundhog and raccoon here in Bucyrus.

We won't talk about skunks... Nope

We get a lot of these animals in the city too. Last Christmas Eve, I almost ran over a 50 lb raccoon in South Queens. We've seen possum, skunk, racoons, and coyotes in NYC.

As far as elk are concerned, I can appreciate them from a couple hundred feet. They, like deer, are not as defenseless as people think.

We get black bears just outside the city. A friend of my wife has a weekend house upstate and told us that there was a bear spotted on the housing development. I asked her if it was a grizzly or a black bear. She asked me what difference it made. I told her that you can scare away a black bear with pepper spray and a whistle. If she can find the bear poo, she can tell what kind of bear it was. If there was a whistle and/or pepper spray in the poo, then it was a grizzly.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I forgot to mention that most of the land around us is BLM, so basically one big park.

I live on the edge of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park and the other side of me is TVA so you can walk for miles and not see anything made by man. We also have bobcats, bear, eagles, hawks, owls, coyotes and wild boar. Also the usual small critters like possums, squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs, skunks, rabbits and what have you. Right now we have a horse the got loose from somewhere and has been free ranging here for over a year. He is totally wild and nobody can get near him.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string