Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint?
(08-03-2018, 07:25 AM)dave1905 Wrote: What are you thinning it with?  It was my understanding that Tru-Color thinned with acetone, which didn't really encourage my use of it.

They do sell a proprietary thinner that as far as I can tell, is not entirely acetone.    That said,  it will eliminate pad printing on walthers products immediately (ask me how I know), and it will eventually eat through stock paint,  so its not the best for use on an already painted model.  

I don't think it is pure acetone though,  and I've never had any issues with models warping or otherwise having problems.   The worst experience I had with Tru-color was on a resin model that I hadn't primed first,  and even then, the paint just flaked off harmlessly (if not tediously).  

The Acetone part might just be the "cheap" method for people who don't like to buy the brand thinners. 

I've been using Tru-color almost exclusively since  Polly Scale/Floquil went away.   Apart from the issues  Mark is talking about, it has worked out well for me.   The B1 switcher is entirely tru-color,  and I painted the brass directly, no prep.  A few of my other engines are mostly tru-color.   You can see in the light on the edges of the carbody the "roughness" Mark talks about.    That said, on this particular model, most of the initial roughness "flattened out" as the paint dried, and in person just standing on the rails in front of you, it looks fine.  

[Image: PA110066_1.jpg]

The roughness is more apparent on Conrail 7499.   I took a photos to show the "faded" 305,  but you can easily see the paint did not go on as smooth as the old polly scale would have.   On the other hand, this is a much closer LV red!

[Image: PA110062.jpg]

You can see the same issue with the body.   Its bad enough that the rivets on the Plano intake grills seem obscured (this is a trick of the light, in person you can see them raised).  The patch is Polly Scale cornel red.   

[Image: PA110061.jpg]

Obviously though, this paint roughness is not ideal.   The reason tru-color is glossy is to make putting decals easier.   Being rough negates that, and so the finish is all wrong out of the bottle.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread
Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 07-22-2018, 07:34 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by dave1905 - 08-03-2018, 07:25 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by Green_Elite_Cab - 08-03-2018, 02:05 PM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-04-2018, 05:31 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-05-2018, 10:39 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM