Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint?
(08-04-2018, 05:31 AM)twilight Wrote: Chris, does your B1 have gloss coat on it?

And are you using primer? I have been using Tamiya Fine Scale primer and have been wondering if the Tru-colors paint has been having a reaction with the primer. I have an old bottle of Tru-colors primer that has separated and evaporated, mostly(there's still some left in the bottle).  I also had a bottle of black in the same condition and I added some Tru-colors thinner to it to see if I could bring it back to life. I put it in my air brush and gave it a try on some scrap styrene and seemed to have worked. I'm going to give the primer the same experiment today.

On another forum, I read that humidity may have a significant effect on this paint because of the acetone that is in the paint. Thread said, acetone may absorb the moisture in the air when humid as it's being air-brushed. I'm not sure of this specifically, but it was extremely humid the day I air-brushed the boxcar and I got the blushed results. When I have experimented with the same color, I thinned it more and increased the psi to around 35, but the humidity had pulled out also.

I'll post my results

Thx,
Mark

Mark,

The B1 is just Tru-color, without primer or clear coats.  My understanding is that "standard" Tru-color is supposed to be somewhat glossy so that decals can be made to adhere better.   This saves a step, since one doesn't need to add a separate gloss coat only to have to dull coat it later once the decals are applied.   The "brushable" tru-color paints are supposed to be dull, though I have not tried any.  Resin is a different story, it definitely needs to be primed with tru-color and I'm curious if the 3D print material might also need to be primed.  

That said,  I've had a moisture trap on my airbrush,  so  unless we're talking  about the moisture between the model and the brush, I don't know if I would be experiencing the same problems.  I can see that being an issue though.    

What was the ratio of paint to thinner you used?  I got my 1000 ul tips, I want to see if I can repeat it.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread
Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 07-22-2018, 07:34 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by dave1905 - 08-03-2018, 07:25 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-04-2018, 05:31 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by Green_Elite_Cab - 08-06-2018, 12:50 PM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-05-2018, 10:39 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM