SOME FREIGHT CAR MODIFICATIONS...
Thanks for your kind remarks, guys! 

I'm not sure why I find freight cars so interesting, but I have to admit that these are pretty mundane, especially for the amount of work put into them.

The history of the TH&B as a railroad is fairly well-documented, but coverage of their early rolling stock is sketchy at best.  I have photos of some, but pre-WWII freight cars must have been not very interesting, as I've found few photos.  Except for some 40' boxcars, almost everything else seems to have been 35' or 36', and the 40' gondolas shown here are actually modelled after cars built in 1918, but acquired by the road only in 1952. 

The 40' flats which I showed in an earlier post represent (and not all that well) a series of cars built in 1913, but the real ones were 36'10" in length - I had started on them before I had decent photos with legible lettering, so, at best, they're stand-ins.

I have some TH&B equipment from the post-war era, and while it's too modern for my layout's era, I'm not overly embarrassed enough to not run it occasionally.  I also have a couple of U-channel TH&B hoppers in-service, with another six on-hand, ready to be re-built.  Based on the Stewart (now Bowser) model, they can be made into a very accurate representation of a 150 car lot of such cars which the road bought from local carbuilder National Steel Car, in 1914.  Those cars lasted into the '60s.

[Image: Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews0101.jpg]

[Image: Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews09-1.jpg]

The TH&B is fairly widely modelled, especially for such a small railroad, but almost all of the layouts of which I'm aware model the post-war era.  That was a time when they were ordering a lot of new equipment, most of which lasted until the CPR took full control of the road 1980.  By 1985, even the name was gone.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
RE: SOME FREIGHT CAR MODIFICATIONS... - by doctorwayne - 12-31-2018, 06:55 PM