Deleteing your own posts?
Is it possible to delete your own posts?

I have a couple posts in my engine roster thread that i was wondering if i could delete because i either sold or traded the loco and no longer have it in my roster. I didnt see anything about deleting the post entirely though under the edit option....

Is it something we can do or one of the mods can do if i post links to the specific ones?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Josh, it looks like you can't delete your own posts (kinda unfair, I'd say), so I deleted all of yours which indicated that the loco had been sold. The two that are left show only that the locos are "up for sale" - do you want them deleted, too?

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Josh, it looks like you can't delete your own posts (kinda unfair, I'd say), so I deleted all of yours which indicated that the loco had been sold. The two that are left show only that the locos are "up for sale" - do you want them deleted, too?

Wayne

Wayne thank-you my friend Misngth And yes please delete those 2 as well Misngth

Is this something that maybe could be added in making the author of the post a choice to delete there post if they wanted to?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Trucklover Wrote:Wayne thank-you my friend Misngth And yes please delete those 2 as well Misngth

Is this something that maybe could be added in making the author of the post a choice to delete there post if they wanted to?

Those posts have been deleted, but we'll have to wait to hear from Mikey or Pat to find out if that option can be offered.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Those posts have been deleted, but we'll have to wait to hear from Mikey or Pat to find out if that option can be offered.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, i Appreciate it Cheers
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
doctorwayne Wrote:
Trucklover Wrote:Wayne thank-you my friend Misngth And yes please delete those 2 as well Misngth

Those posts have been deleted, but we'll have to wait to hear from Mikey or Pat to find out if that option can be offered.

Wayne
Just like on all other forums we've had, this function is not allowed. It's always been that mods can delete posts, members cannot. We have always been accommodating, but just don't want posts deleted that might be significant to a thread or at least without knowing it's happening. Plus, we don't want spammers to show up and delete their own garbage before we have time to deal with them as well. The same goes for moving things around or even locking a thread. Not a problem, just ask.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Just like on all other forums we've had, this function is not allowed. It's always been that mods can delete posts, members cannot. We have always been accommodating, but just don't want posts deleted that might be significant to a thread or at least without knowing it's happening. Plus, we don't want spammers to show up and delete their own garbage before we have time to deal with them as well. The same goes for moving things around or even locking a thread. Not a problem, just ask.

Thanks Don, no problem at all Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Quote:Plus, we don't want spammers to show up and delete their own garbage before we have time to deal with them as well.

I don't know... self-deleting spammers might be a good thing, if only they'd do it before their first post...! Wink Big Grin

Andrew
ezdays Wrote:[quote=][b]Just like on all other forums we've had, this function is not allowed. It's always been that mods can delete posts, members cannot.

That's not entirely accurate. On the old Gauge (Zealot) I could delete my posts myself, even before it went over to Zealot.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
Running Bear Wrote:That's not entirely accurate. On the old Gauge (Zealot) I could delete my posts myself, even before it went over to Zealot.
The Old gauge was the first Vbullitin program.. After various forums started deleting posts and or threads. the database errors started.. Vbullitin has since - through a lot of upgrades - repaired the bugs. Just to be on the sae side, though, we should not start deleting large amounts of posts. We're now using an entirely different program PhpBB it's more reliable and better serves against attacks. Smile

A few is fine though.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
A self-deleting spammer would be great if they would also ban themselves at the same time. Our problem is if they delete their posts before we find them, then they are still free to spew their garbage around. So far though, since we've added a simple question to our registration process, we've not seen spammers coming here.

And yeah, Mikey is right, one problem we had with mass deleting of posts and threads is that it can screw up the database. There were occasions that this did happen on the old Gauge, even when the staff did the deleting, so it was frowned upon from that point on, and allowed with caution. As far as Zealot goes, it was intended that a member could delete a post within a few hours of posting, but I have a feeling that for some people, that time was extended beyond what it was suppose to be.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I can understand all that. On my own forum spam threads and fights are moved to a password coded locked threads board that is accessible by staff only, and then only if they have the password to get in.
15 year veteran fire fighter
Collector of Apple //e's

Beatus homo qui invenit sapientiam
If a spamer deleats his own thread. You have accomplished the same thing as if you have deleated it. Sonner on later you will catch him and dump him. If you program has a problum handling deleations, that sounds like your problum. When someome posts something they do feal it is theirs, not the sites. And if they want ,they have to be able to remove it. I don't see any one messing with peoples blogs. Basicly these threads are peolpes blogs. They are opening up here and giving information and personal opinions. They have a right to edit or deleat without asking for permission. Your rules almost make you as bad as the spamers. In a way stealing !
frank
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
toptrain Wrote:If a spamer deleats his own thread. You have accomplished the same thing as if you have deleated it. Sonner on later you will catch him and dump him. If you program has a problum handling deleations, that sounds like your problum. When someome posts something they do feal it is theirs, not the sites. And if they want ,they have to be able to remove it. I don't see any one messing with peoples blogs. Basicly these threads are peolpes blogs. They are opening up here and giving information and personal opinions. They have a right to edit or deleat without asking for permission. Your rules almost make you as bad as the spamers. In a way stealing !
frank
Well Frank, we are bound by the constraints of the forum software, and it appears that two most popular software programs don't act too kindly to mass deletions. Whether it actually is the case or not, most forums don't want threads deleted. And yes, I used to delete threads on the old forum, but I gritted my teeth every time I did. To be sure, when CG took over Zealot, they made sure that even the mods couldn't delete posts, so we had to move them into a protected area.

Secondly, forum sites belong to whoever is paying the bills and these are the folks that set the rules. When someone posts there, the content of those posts now belong to the forum. it's no different than if you submit something to a magazine or newspaper and they print it. That article becomes their property and they have the right to edit it if they so choose. We also reserve the right to edit or delete posts that do not fit into our family-oriented forum style. This is a rarity, and it's usually only spam that needs to get dealt with. If anyone wants to have their post or thread deleted or moved, any mod here would be more than willing to accommodate their request, but we need to know what's going on before that happens.

It's hardly fair to compare us to spammers, we are simply providing a venue that modelers can use as they chose to post their comments, experiences or opinions. There needs to be someone though, that controls what goes on, hence the rules. Our rules are a lot simpler than those of a lot of other forums, yet there are those that have few rules and allow their members to do just about as they please. But then their goals are much different than ours, so that's why we keep a close watch on what's going on. So I hope you understand that those who post here are willing to live by the few rules we do have while they're here.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Ab-so-lute-ly right, Don - You don't go into somebody elses house and tell him how to run his life! Just exactly the same applies here - you are invited in, and you accept the invitation, you accept the rules of behaviour that come with it - If you don't like them, or aren't prepared to accept them, don't come in - or you can expect that the owner and his friends (Mods) will throw you out