Weekly Photo Thread 7/19-7/25
Yes, I still live, and I occasionally work on my trains. 

Earlier this year, I did attempt to run a massive train on our club layout.   It did have some issues, but they seemed solvable, all except for the fact that  the train would not fit on any storage track.  It was neat though, that up to that point, the train was rolling with just 2 Scale Trains SD40-2s.  It would be no problem to tack on another SD if necessary.  

I want to say the train was just north of 26' feet, maybe closer to 30.  I knew how long it was at the time, but I've since forgotten.   Still, it was fun trying to run a mega train. I just realized I didn't take pictures of the caboose end of the train, but its still pretty long.   In the final photo,  the distance between the signal in the foreground (by the Conrail boxcar)  and the red lit signal ahead of the Atlas trestle in the far background is about 18'.    There is still a large chunk of that train "around the corner" in the background.  Very long!

[Image: 20190114_223128.jpg]

[Image: 20190114_223136.jpg]

[Image: 20190114_223142.jpg]

For more reasonable trains,  older 4 axle power was the name of the game.  #2856 was a U30B with sound on discount, a deal to good to refuse.  There are not enough U-boat models out there!

[Image: 20190121_212114.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Good lookin' layout, and it looks to be a pretty decent size, too!

I've run only one fairly long train, and I'd guess the length, not counting locos, to be about 35'.  It was a mix of cars, from 34' hoppers, lots of 40' boxcars, to some 50'ers, too.  I ran it with various locos (steam and diesel), four at a time, and with them in various positions within the train: one, two or three on the head end, with one pushing, and in various versions of that.  I also spaced them, singly, throughout the train. 

Because my layout is mostly grades and curves, it was very interesting to watch the slack running in and out in various parts of the train, some of it going uphill and some downhill at the same time, and occasionally in more than one location at the same time - a little nerve-wracking, too, but no derailments.

Wayne
G.E.C.---really nice layout,hope to see lots more pictures

CNR S1 Mike #3377 is shown crossing the Desjardin Canal bridge

Shore River 427 pulls cars off the car float.

Bruce

(07-19-2019, 11:25 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Good lookin' layout, and it looks to be a pretty decent size, too!

I've run only one fairly long train, and I'd guess the length, not counting locos, to be about 35'.  It was a mix of cars, from 34' hoppers, lots of 40' boxcars, to some 50'ers, too.  I ran it with various locos (steam and diesel), four at a time, and with them in various positions within the train: one, two or three on the head end, with one pushing, and in various versions of that.  I also spaced them, singly, throughout the train. 

Because my layout is mostly grades and curves, it was very interesting to watch the slack running in and out in various parts of the train, some of it going uphill and some downhill at the same time, and occasionally in more than one location at the same time - a little nerve-wracking, too, but no derailments.

Wayne

35' definitely beats me, not only in length but probably in total cars, if you're running all those  shorter older types.   There is a healthy dose of 86' boxcars and 89' autoracks in my train, and several 60' autoparts cars as well.

I did a similar train a few years ago that was a mixed freight that maxed out the staging track.   I had a real issue with the slack coming in and derailing the train if there were any hiccups.    One section of the layout dips down into a tunnel before a relatively sharp curve up a steep hill.   For whatever reason, my locomotives would  sometimes hesitate here, just beyond the curve.   If the train was going too fast,  the slack would slam downgrade and throw of the front few cars of the train.  I had to run relatively slowly through here in order to avoid this if the engines hesitated.    It took the train a full minute to pass. Curiously,  my train club tried to limit trains like this claiming they took too long.   On the other hand, there were some people with much shorter trains going far slower,  so sometimes I wonder what they were thinking!

Lately I've been running my Trailvan train with the nicer metal flatcars from Athearn, Atlas, and BLMA (also Atlas now, i suppose).   That thing rolls so smoothly that i have more problems with the trailers getting snagged off the decks than the train actually derailing.    Then again, with each car being a foot long and having less couplers and wheels to worry about, I suppose that is cheating as far as building a smooth running long train.   

These trains test how well you maintain your rolling stock for sure!  I'd be too scared to try a multi-unit helper like how you describe though.   You'd need some really well speed matched locomotives!
UP Big Boy in Des Moines, IA 8/1/19.  The place was mobbed!  Lots of what looked like grandparents with their grandkids.

Attached Files Image(s)

Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
(08-01-2019, 12:15 PM)Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:

....For whatever reason, my locomotives would  sometimes hesitate here, just beyond the curve.   If the train was going too fast,  the slack would slam downgrade and throw off the front few cars of the train.....

The run-in of slack can sometimes be enough to push the locomotives somewhat.  This disturbs the normal relationship between the worm and the gear(s) it drives, causing a momentary lock-up of the gear train, and it takes a moment for things to get back in-sync.

(08-01-2019, 12:15 PM)Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:

These trains test how well you maintain your rolling stock for sure!  I'd be too scared to try a multi-unit helper like how you describe though.   You'd need some really well speed matched locomotives!

Actually, I don't bother speed matching.  Pretty-well all of my locos (all steam, and by several different manufacturers) run well enough with one another - not necessarily at identical speeds, but reasonably close.  If the train actually requires multiple locomotives to move it, it's surprising how well disparate locos will co-operate.

The multiple unit tests, as mentioned, also included diesels and steam in some instances.  I was pleased that locos from three different manufacturers would work so well together.

Wayne
(08-01-2019, 12:49 PM)FiatFan Wrote:
UP Big Boy in Des Moines, IA 8/1/19. 

I can't imagine trying to hand-fire that thing, in its original coal-fired version, if the stoker had quit.  It'd probably be easier to just hop out and start pushin'...with about the same effect.

Wayne
(08-01-2019, 12:49 PM)FiatFan Wrote: UP Big Boy in Des Moines, IA 8/1/19.  The place was mobbed!  Lots of what looked like grandparents with their grandkids.

Tom, I have been next to the one at steamtown, but your picture makes them look so much more impressive. 
Charlie
(08-01-2019, 01:00 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: The run-in of slack can sometimes be enough to push the locomotives somewhat.  This disturbs the normal relationship between the worm and the gear(s) it drives, causing a momentary lock-up of the gear train, and it takes a moment for things to get back in-sync.

In my case, it was electrical.  The engines in question did not have the best pickups.  Even with the keep alives, it still hesitates a little.  Probably need the longer lasting keep alive.

Quote:Actually, I don't bother speed matching.  Pretty-well all of my locos (all steam, and by several different manufacturers) run well enough with one another - not necessarily at identical speeds, but reasonably close.  If the train actually requires multiple locomotives to move it, it's surprising how well disparate locos will co-operate.

The multiple unit tests, as mentioned, also included diesels and steam in some instances.  I was pleased that locos from three different manufacturers would work so well together.

Wayne

Unfortunately,  even with identical decoders, the differences between Atlas, Athearn, and P2K engines are too great to really mix and match them the way Conrail did. I wish there was a way to speed match them based on wheel revolutions.   Its frustrating even doing it with decoder pro.
Thanks, Charlie.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)