Central Vermont GP9
Photo 
I recently visited Maine and Vermont this summer. Doing some research about railways there, I stumbled upon a nice picture of a CV GP9 still sporting the old CNR green & gold paint scheme from the 1950s as late as 1978. It gave me the idea to model one based on this photo from cnrphotos.com:

[Image: CV4550%2B%25281%2529.jpg]

Since I didn't want to spend too much money on the project, I purchased a Bachmann GP9. I've used this model for kitbashing a few years ago and liked its sturdiness. Not the best model on the market, but definitely an honest foundation.

I had to make several modification to the shell since Bachmann GP9 is a Phase II model while CV GP9 #4450 was of a later design with a smaller fuel tank and different skirting. Some louvers had to be removed. New ones by Archer will be added prior to painting. I also had on hands a few Cannon & Company EMD 36" fans from a previous bash. I thought it would look better than keeping the quite shallow cast on details. I also added new horns, bell, winter hatch, sinclair antenna, sunshade, lift rings, air and mu hoses and grabirons. Didn't cost a lot because I had all these details in my part box.

I know I could have used an Athearn Genesis, a Proto 2000 or even an Atlas locomotive, but since these locomotives aren't cheap and most would need to remove a lot of factory details, I felt it would be more fun to improve a less than perfect model. Maybe I'm crazy, but I kind of like to work with cheaper model. Doing something nice with my own hands is more satisfying than just buying stuff.

And now, some pictures... 

[Image: IMG_5504b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5505b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5506b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5508b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5509b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5511b.jpg]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)