Walthers Sw1
Hi all, I have the original Walthers SW1 with just one truck powered and One truck for power pickup.  I had custom painted it for NYC and never run it as it doesn't run well.  I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the newer version (made in 2014) which has all wheel drive and power pickup, has the same shell so I could buy one and swap shells.  Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks, Gary
I can't help with your SW1, Gary, but it's certainly good to hear from you again.

Wayne
I can't help either, but I do want to say you have been missed. I hope all is well. Have a happy New Year.
Charlie
Thanks Wayne, Charlie. I found this review from 2014 and it seems the shell may mount the same way. I think I'll go ahead and order one.
The closest Santa Fe got to having a SW1 was their one & only SC 2301. It was later rebuilt into SW900 #650. Then sold to St Joseph Terminal as their #1.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
If you need photos of the shell and chassis I can take some pics of the undecorated one I have.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I would appreciate photos of the newer version. Not sure why the link I thought I attached isn't showing, I'll try again:
https://mrr.trains.com/news-reviews/staf...locomotive
Are these OK?

Bruce

They are great, thanks Bruce!
Gary---it's great to hear from you---hopefully you'll post some pictures from the John Galt Lines again soon
(12-27-2019, 10:27 PM)bdw9535 Wrote: Are these OK?

Bruce

With the "notch" in front of cab looks more like a NW2 shell. The SWs had a slope in front of the cab.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
(12-29-2019, 12:32 PM)lajry Wrote: With the "notch" in front of cab looks more like a NW2 shell. The SWs had a slope in front of the cab.

Like many diesels with a long production run, the SW1 underwent several modifications over time.  There's some information HERE outlining the changes.

Wayne
Hi Mr Nutbar, sorry I've forgotten your name, was it Mike? I'd like to post some pics in the near future. I've become even more of a techo phobe than before. When I retired and moved, I needed a new computer (old one was still running windows vista) I got a laptop. To be honest, I haven't used my digital camera since. I don't even know what sort of rudimentary photo app may be on the laptop. I need to just take some photos and plug the camera into the laptop and see what happens.
I was going to try posting an old photo already copied over from the old computer to the laptop, but I also don't remember how to post it! I just looked at instructions Don wrote up in 2018 but I do not see the browse button he mentions. I'm hopeless!
Hi Gary,

Mister Nutbar is Ed, to those of us who know him, and has been my friend for almost 40 years.

If you don't have a photo hosting site, such as photobucket or Imgur, you can add photos here in your reply using attachments.  Simply scroll down in your "Reply" view, where you'll see, on the left, "New Attachment", followed by the word "Browse". Click on "Browse" which will give you available options where the photo you wish to post may be located on your computer.  When you locate the photo you want, simply click on it.

The name (or number) of that photo will appear next to the word "Browse, and on the right-hand side of the screen, there will be a box containing the words "Add Attachment".  Click on it, which will cause the data to appear on a line below that, with options at the right to either "Remove" the attachment or "Insert Into Post"

Within the reply which you're composing, click where you wish to have the photo appear, then click on the box "Insert Into Post".

You can repeat this action to include more photos if you wish, although there is a limit (not sure of the number) on the number of photos per post.

Also, if your photo has a file-size which is too large, it cannot be used here as an attachment.  In that situation, simply "Copy" the photo, then re-size either the copy or the original - re-sizing to 1280x1024 pixels will give you a large image to be viewed, but with a small file size, which will work well here.

Wayne

(12-30-2019, 02:54 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Hi Gary,

Mister Nutbar is Ed, to those of us who know him, and has been my friend for almost 40 years.

If you don't have a photo hosting site, such as photobucket or Imgur, you can add photos here in your reply using attachments.  Simply scroll down in your "Reply" view, where you'll see, on the left, "New Attachment", followed by the word "Browse". Click on "Browse" which will give you available options where the photo you wish to post may be located on your computer.  When you locate the photo you want, simply click on it.

The name (or number) of that photo will appear next to the word "Browse, and on the right-hand side of the screen, there will be a box containing the words "Add Attachment".  Click on it, which will cause the data to appear on a line below that, with options at the right to either "Remove" the attachment or "Insert Into Post"

Within the reply which you're composing, click where you wish to have the photo appear, then click on the box "Insert Into Post".

You can repeat this action to include more photos if you wish, although there is a limit (not sure of the number) on the number of photos per post.

Also, if your photo has a file-size which is too large, it cannot be used here as an attachment.  In that situation, simply "Copy" the photo, then re-size either the copy or the original - re-sizing to 1280x1024 pixels will give you a large image to be viewed, but with a small file size, which will work well here.

Sorry I couldn't remember your name Ed.
I see that the quick reply option does not show the browse button, only the reply one does.  I'll give it a shot.