Sylvan SS and Westerfield USRA boxcar
Lookin' good, Glen.   Applause Applause Applause

(08-19-2020, 10:29 PM)cnrglen Wrote: ...One thing I would like to add to this car in an underbody charcoal heater. I just wish I could either find a casting or figure out how to scratchbuild one.

I sorta semi-faked this one....

...from a multi-part feature in the Dec. '95 and Jan./Feb. '96 issues of RMC, covering the development of the 8 hatch reefers of the CNR, CPR, PGE, and GTW.

The heater was charcoal-fired, but unlike the ones use in end-type ice bunkers (the bunkers were usually fitted with a small hinged side-door) the underfloor type was developed around 1936 by CN and CP, in cooperation with the National Research Council. 
It used an anti-freeze solution in copper coils, with the coils above the floor, but below the interior floor racks.  The solution moved through the coils and back to the heater by convection, while the heater was fed automatically from a 60lb. charcoal magazine.

Mine was made from a piece of Evergreen (or perhaps Plastruct) 3/8" square tubing, with a .010" piece of sheet styrene to cover the front and rear of the heater box, which sits on a square of .060" sheet styrene (to allow it to project further below the car's sidesill.  I then added a few more bits of styrene on the face of the box to represent whatever was shown in the photos (probably a door for the charcoal magazine...my guess, anyway). 
The straps, supposedly holding the heater in place, are Detail Associates flat brass bar (.010"x.030")(if you don't have any flat brass bar, strip styrene should work, too) and I used what appears to be some .030" or .040" brass wire for the pipes leading to- and from- the coils.

A couple of photos....

I faked the liquidometer using a square of .010" sheet styrene, with a .010"x.020" strip of styrene on its top edge.  The "dials" are the top portion from a couple of dry transfer "0"s

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sylvan SS and Westerfield USRA boxcar - by doctorwayne - 08-20-2020, 10:28 AM