Remaking of the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
I read an article in a recent Model Railroader that talked about making foundations for structures as a way to make them fit better into the scenry. After thinking about it and knowing I need to raise the passenger platforms I decided to give it a try. The article recommended three materilas to choose from; wood strips, foam board, and plaster with or without a facade. For my purpose I chose the foam board.

Using the base of the platforms I traced the outline and cut the foam board. The type of board I chose required two layers as you can see.
[Image: aQ26Yy5.jpg]

Since there are four platforms I had to cut a total of eight pieces.
[Image: 2DsEDgi.jpg]

I had to cut out for the stairs in two of the platforms.
[Image: jjbbbWc.jpg]

I placed the boards and the platforms and checked the height against a passenger coach.
[Image: KKbiXne.jpg]

Checked to make sure the cus for the stairs were done correctly. When the foundations are in place I will use scrap to fill in the gap.
[Image: vnVt8kJ.jpg]

The platforms are too far from the rail. The little plastic people would have quite a jump to board. Therefore I have to remove some of the roadbed edge.
[Image: 9VQkuML.jpg]

All the roadbed edge removed for the platforms.
[Image: CQucKbA.jpg]

[Image: z22aXTZ.jpg]

Test of the platform location.
[Image: hDXZrzM.jpg]

Next I need to paint the foam board black. I also need to figure out a way to keep the ballast out of the area of the foundations. I don't want to set the foundations until the blalast is in place as I don't want it spiling onto the foundation and creating problems with setting the platforms.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remaking of the Ridley Keystone & Mountain - by tompm - 12-09-2021, 01:30 AM