Finally, some updates at Dunnville...
(07-24-2020, 11:05 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Thanks again for the kind words, guys, but there's lots that needs correcting, and I usually discover it later in the project.  My hope is that it looks decent once it's in-place, and that the screw-ups won't be too easily spotted by the viewing audience. Misngth 

Some of the corrections will be obvious, though, as the remedies will likely be easily identifiable as non-prototypical. I won't be too ashamed to explain what went wrong and why it was remedied in the manner I choose, either, as both I and anyone following this may benefit from the confessions.

Wayne

Now for the confessions....

The major item that needed correcting was the alignment of the platform roofs, partially due to the fact that the two tracks are somewhat farther apart at the south end than at the north end, so I fudged the south end of the south platform a little wider.
With the two temporarily installed on the layout (the blocks seen under the platforms, in the assembly photos in the previous post, "plug-in" to matching holes cut into the cork roadbed which was previously used under the removed crossover turnouts).  With the platforms in place, the roofs don't line-up straight, so I made the probably-not-prototypical supports for the free-ends of the platform roof using .060" sheet styrene, rather than Evergreen structural shapes of some sort. 
I wasn't initially planning on using any supports for those free-ends, but I started to worry that they might, over time, sag of their own accord.  When I noticed the misalignment, though, it seemed that a stronger remedy, no matter how unprototypical it might appear, would have to be used.
The greater gluing area allowed me to manually skew the roof into better alignment (also skewing the support columns, too, although they don't look too unusual, and that explains the use of a 3.5lb. machinist's block (and a bunch of clamps, not shown) to maintain the "skew" while the MEK cement set solid.

It didn't take me too long to accept that it doesn't, in my opinion, anyway, look all that bad, and it's certainly better than when the whole shebang was wonky.

It's yet to be seen if the finished product will pass muster with the viewing audience, as it's often easy for the builder to overlook his own mistakes....well, at least until it starts to gnaw at the conscience.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finally, some updates at Dunnville... - by doctorwayne - 07-26-2020, 07:00 PM