The hardest thing I've ever had to do.... ever
(08-25-2020, 08:08 AM)Chief Eagles Wrote: Don, I knew that was coming.  Was surprised you hadn't made that move earlier.  I knew it was a strain on you.  You have been an extra good husband.  Prayers for you and her.  God bless.

Thanks Frank, it took a while, not only because my commitment to her, but we would have been broke inside a year if I had to do this on our own dime. It was years before I found even one program that would help. That lead to another and another, then finally to ALTECS, the Arizona long-term care administrators. We applied in November, and it took ten months to get all the paperwork in and do what I needed to do in order to have her qualify. Even then, I wasn't sure that I wanted to do this, but, when I started to become on a first-name basis with the Surprise Fire Dep't, having called 911 at least a half-dozen times this past month, I knew it was time.

If there are others here that are struggling as caregivers or know someone who is, and they need help, there's a chance I can point you in the right direction. I was at Brenda's Kitchen for breakfast this morning and there's this one guy that his wife is in a wheelchair. He stopped me and asked about the help I was getting. These programs are there to help, but are difficult to connect with.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread
RE: The hardest thing I've ever had to do.... ever - by ezdays - 08-25-2020, 09:34 AM