Nscale Kato P42 Digitrax Decoder Install Problem
Hi guys,

I tried to install a Digitrax DN163K0a decoder into my P42, but only the rear engine light illuminates when I put power to the track. I reprogrammed the loco's address to the road number, and verified that was done correctly, but I get no engine movement at all, only the rear light illuminating. It doesn't matter what direction the diesel faces either...only the rear light turns on about two seconds after putting power to the rails on my Digitrax Zephyr. I get no error or short circuit codes. I tried to reinstall the decoder three times, make sure I placed my kapton tape where called for in the directions, made sure the brass pickup strips were touching the metal tabs of the wheel trucks, and made sure the engine tabs were insulated from the brass strips by the kapton tape. What have I done wrong here? I checked both the Digitrax Decoder manual and the Zephyr manual but nothing really addresses this problem. I keep checking the engine's address and it keeps showing up as the right numbers. But I can't figure out why only the rear light is on when power hits the rails. I can't control that light...only watch it turn on by itself with track power.

Any ideas??????
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Is this happening on the programming track or on the "main"..?? Did you exit programming mode before you tried it out..??
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks for the reply...

I used a programming track to reprogram the decoder's address to the engine number, and confirmed that was done correctly before placing it on the layout. As soon as I put power to the tracks, only the rear light would illuminate (regardless of turning it on or off via the light button on the Zephyr unit). I just tried to change CV 08 back to "factory presets" and reprogramming the engine's address back to its road number, but still only the rear light illuminates when power is selected "on". There is no engine movement at all and I don't have any control over the lights. The only thing I can think of to do is try (for the 4th time) to completely redo the decoder installation. Maybe there's a problem I just don't see. But the metal engine tabs are insulated from the brass engine pickups, and are only touching the decoder's metal pickups. Obviously, something is getting power since the light turns on. And still there's no short circuit or quickly flashing lights on either the engine or the dcc controller, so I don't think there's a short circuit problem. Arrrgghhh...I was really hoping adding dcc to the Kato's wouldn't be this difficult. Any other ideas?
Mark

--and--
Was the loco running before you attemted to put the decoder in?
Check the loco in regular DC, and see if it works, then put the decoder in and try again.
If the loco runs under DC, but not with the decoder, something might be wrong with the decoder.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Thanks guys for some great suggestions...I tried them all and proved that all was well with the engine before I tried adding the decoder.

The problem is solved! I got some advice I'd like to share...

I reprogrammed the decoder to a two-digit address instead of the four-digit address I first attempted. The engine's road number is "62" and I tried reprogramming the engine to "0062" address...I'm not sure the Zephyr liked that. So I reprogrammed it to "62" and gained control of the lighting. Next I made sure to bent the motor tabs that would touch the decoder motor pickup area "upwards" so when the plastic tab (that hold them down and in contact with the decoder) was installed, it made the motor tabs have positive contact with the decoder. After doing that three times, I finally got it exactly right (I guess) because now the engine/decoder works perfectly. From what others have mentioned...this decoder has to be placed exactly and the motor tabs touching just right or it won't work. One person even mentioned that he solders down the metal motor tabs to the decoder.

Thanks for the ideas guys...and I hope this info helps someone else with this engine/decoder!
Mark

--and--
Hi Hercdriver,

Glad you solved the problem out ... what other locos are you thinking of converting to DCC ?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Perseverence is the name of this game....Glad you got it going..!!
Nothing beats a plug n' play decoder install..or one with nice long wires that you can solder together....Tabs..?? Who thought that one up...?? Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Right now...I have the following engines with decoders installed:

Kato SD90MAC UP
Kato AC4400 CEFX
Kato GG1 PRR
Kato SD40-2 BNSF
Kato P42 Amtrak
Atlas B23/30-7 Norfolk Southern
Bachmann HHP-8

I have another 12 Kato diesels plus another diesel still on order, plus about 9 Atlas diesels, 6 Athearn diesels (and they're not decoder friendly), 6 InterMountain diesels. I'm not sure about all the Life Like engines I have...there's some I'd like to install decoders in, but I'm not great at soldering wires (which assumes I can figure out which wire goes where). There are some Bachmanns that won't see a decoder, some less expensive Life Likes, and some Atlas engines that won't get in line for a decoder installation either. What can I say...I have more power than room to run it all. But I'd like to MU some trains to add some realism and mimic what I see around my local area. This overly ambitious number of engines to add decoders to will be most likely cost prohibitive to do all at once (or even quickly unless I inherit a small fortune), so I'll take my time and install decoders within one manufacturer at a time. I started with the Kato's first since they're the easiest. I'll probably do some of the InterMountains next, then the Atlas, then the Athearns. I know I can only run about 10 loco's at a time, and that's fine for my operation. I'll need to add two Loco-net cabs later on, but right now, keeping three or four trains safely running around the layout is about all we can handle anyway. All of my turnouts are manual throws as well...so we have a lot to watch.

Thank you for your ideas and help. I'm really glad everything turned out all right. This is too expensive an endeavor to burn up a decoder making an installation mistake.
Mark

--and--
I am one of those people who do not trust the plastic clip to make the contact of the motor to the deocder, I solder them! I don't get carried away with the solder, just a small sweat joint and you will not have a contact problem.
Do you have any pictures of that GG1 PRR on the track?
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I have a picture of that GG1 on the track, but it will take me a bit to figure out how to post it. I switched to an iMac from my sometimes working PC and I've got to figure out the software that changes large camera files into webshots so I can post them here. As soon as I'm successful, I'll post a picture. Unfortunately, my layout is nothing to look at now. I wanted to get the dcc up and running before adding to the scenery, so the layout is in a very unfinished state. Now that I've got some decoders in a few diesels, I'll start on finishing the layout...or at least adding some ground cover and fixing the track. Kato did a tremendous job on the Nscale GG1. I resisted buying one for months, but finally caved in. It's the ugliest/prettiest electric engine I've seen...the lines are just classic. On my layout I've decided that someone went to the trouble to electrify the cats with the right juice to run the GG1 on excursion runs. I already have an HHP8, so I figure adding the cats would make sense anyway.
Mark

--and--