Trying Weathering Chalks
Despite the trouble with fingerprints, that car looks pretty good to me. 

I'm pretty fussy about what's allowed in the layout room, and the main no-no is food, although beverages are allowed. I don't enforce Rule G, either, but I always handle rolling stock, locos, or vehicles only with clean hands.  Pretty-well no one else is supposed to be touching anything, unless they own it.

I do allow small children to touch some items, as that's how they learn to be respectful of things not theirs.  None of my kids are interested in model trains, although a couple of the grandkids do enjoy watching them run, or even just exploring the layout room to look at the scenes.  I expect that, too will end, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

My younger daughter is an artist, and we sometimes go to a nearby shop for supplies for her.  On one occasion, I was browsing and came across some oil-based pastels.  I picked up a variety of earth tones, along with some shades suitable for rust, some yellows and oranges (for reefer weathering) and, of course, black, white, and a couple of greys, too.  Some were round like a fat crayon, while others were square, but about the same size, and all had a paper wrap, like a crayon.

To use them I simply rubbed them over some coarse-ish sandpaper, then dumped the resultant dust into a piece of bubble-wrap that had held Krazy Glue to a piece of card.  I then got out some past-their-prime paint brushes, and went to work on a few randomly selected cars.  The advantage of the oil-based stuff is that it doesn't seem to come off very easily, as my cars get handled a lot, taken off the layout and put in their box, then later taken out and place on the layout somewhere else.  With clean hands, no finger prints on the cars, and no pastels on the fingers.

I'd offer some photos, but photobucket pictures will not show on this Forum, for some reason.

I did find these, though...

A couple of Accurail cars with C-D-S lettering...

...and a couple of Accurail boxcars with factory lettering...

...and another Accurail car with lettering from C-D-S...

Every once in a while I'll grab a couple of random cars and add some weathering to them.  I do find the airbrush-applied weathering more controllable, though.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
Trying Weathering Chalks - by tompm - 09-30-2020, 09:47 PM
RE: Trying Weathering Chalks - by tompm - 09-30-2020, 09:49 PM
RE: Trying Weathering Chalks - by doctorwayne - 10-01-2020, 12:01 AM
RE: Trying Weathering Chalks - by ngauger - 10-02-2020, 04:33 AM
RE: Trying Weathering Chalks - by Tyson Rayles - 10-02-2020, 06:38 AM
RE: Trying Weathering Chalks - by tompm - 10-07-2020, 02:21 PM
RE: Trying Weathering Chalks - by tompm - 10-07-2020, 04:29 PM