tompm's 2021 Do Something Challenge part 3
I replaced the McHenry or EZ-Mate couplers with Kadee #5 couplers. Changing the couplers is a bit of work on these cars. You have to remove the trucks. Next remove the screw that is holding the floor to the body of the car. Remove the coupler box cover screws. Loosen the floor from the body slightly. Wiggle, finagle the coupler box cover off without popping off one of the steps. Once the coupler is in place you have to reverse the sequence.

[Image: 6UB1zDF.jpg]

[Image: THp8AE7.jpg]

Reading through the instructions I came across a note recommending removing a portion of the center sill so the trucks operate better on 24 inch radius. Now 24 is the minimum curve the box says the car will operate on. I experimented with moving the car through a 24 inch curve and sure enough at a certain point I could feel the truck bind.

[Image: 5XL1ab1.jpg]

Brought the car back to the workbench and got out the tools and shortened the sill. Tested the car and there is a huge difference in it running around the curve.

[Image: ftaw0sf.jpg]

After doing this I seem to remember doing it on other cars perhaps my B&O Walters Heavyweights. For curiosity's sake I am going to have to check them.

One last thing I need to do to this car is give it a name. I realized that the ACF Baggage car needs numbers. After I am finished tuning up the cars I will have some decaling to do.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery

Messages In This Thread
RE: tompm's 2021 Do Something Challenge part 3 - by tompm - 06-01-2021, 08:43 PM